• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LEDs

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
get a few spare time this afternoon, and while cleaning a bit all mess in my garage, I found a box of leds, blue ones.

I decided to work a bit on backlighting of my A/C controler and dash, to match the blue colours I choosed on my Glow shift gauges.

Here is the result :

DSC00894.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

That looks really nice! If you have minute, which one of these most closely matches the style you used? Or, would anything work as long as it says "194 type"?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

Dennis,

the ones (you need 6 of them) I used for the dash are the WLED-x-x LED bulb (194 type), they do fine.
If you want it really bright, the WLED-xHP High Power LED bulb should do wonder.
For the A/C controler, I used the T1.5-x Instrument LED bulb (74 type). This regular one is enough, no use to pay extra for the 74-xHP Wedge Base LED Bulb.

Well done. How about a little refresher on how to get the gauge cluster out and change those lights? For those who must know!

Dennis,

the ones (you need 6 of them) I used for the dash are the WLED-x-x LED bulb (194 type), they do fine.
If you want it really bright, the WLED-xHP High Power LED bulb should do wonder.
For the A/C controler, I used the T1.5-x Instrument LED bulb (74 type). This regular one is enough, no use to pay extra for the 74-xHP Wedge Base LED Bulb.

Thank you very much! I think I'm going to try it in red. My wife drives an older 528 and those gauges are a reddish/orange color - it's very easy on the eyes at night. But, I must admit, that blue really pops and looks great! I love cheap mods! :D

I'm sorry to bore you with minor questions, but, did you use the narrow or wide angle 194's? :confused:

Your dash looks very evenly lit, I just wanted to make sure I get the same style. Are you happy with brightness? It looks plenty bright in the pictures.

i put blue leds in my truck over the summer it looked good was very bright, but i went with blue incadesent bulbs because i couldnt dim the leds so they were too bright in the dead of night in the country, in the city they were great.

i would suggest the wide angle leds

Dennis, If you go with red be sure to post a picture. I think it could turn out one of two ways: totally awsome :thumbsup: or like The Shining :eek:. Redrum!

Thank you very much! I think I'm going to try it in red. My wife drives an older 528 and those gauges are a reddish/orange color - it's very easy on the eyes at night. But, I must admit, that blue really pops and looks great! I love cheap mods! :D

Matuva- thanks for sharing this mod! One question:
If you replace the bulbs with LEDs, can you dim the lights?

i put blue leds in my truck over the summer it looked good was very bright, but i went with blue incadesent bulbs because i couldnt dim the leds so they were too bright in the dead of night in the country, in the city they were great.

i would suggest the wide angle leds

Back