• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LED DRLs do work...

Reaction score
I built my out LED DRLs almost a year ago now, and they still work fine. The whole pulsed voltage blah blah blah is crap... I converted the whole maker light to LED and they work fine. The problem is the heat that comes off of the regular lights. Anyway, I just figured I'd pass on this info...

The whole pulsed voltage blah blah blah is crap...

x2

I am the same way, if GM's use pulsed voltage for the DRL's and LED's are such a no-no, then why have they worked 100% perfect for me for the past 4 years??

I'm calling BS on the whole pulsed voltage thing.

What LED's did you use. I bought LED lights and they burnt out in about 2 weeks. Please fill me in.

I used raw S-Flux LEDs from LSDiodes, who no longer sell LEDs. I did a row across the whole marker lights...

here are some bad pictures...

picture.php

picture.php

I built my out LED DRLs almost a year ago now, and they still work fine. The whole pulsed voltage blah blah blah is crap... I converted the whole maker light to LED and they work fine. The problem is the heat that comes off of the regular lights. Anyway, I just figured I'd pass on this info...

I'll ask the stupid obvious question,What's a drl ? no offense intended but that's a really crappy pic.

Daytime Running Light/Lamp....

gonna sound stupid here, but led's aren't plug and play stuff??.... or are they??

LED's are plug and play, or you can build your own "lamp" and get better light output, because YOU can aim the LED's instead of buying ones that are pre-made.

LED's are plug and play, or you can build your own "lamp" and get better light output, because YOU can aim the LED's instead of buying ones that are pre-made.

care to do a write up on that?? :) ,,, i'd be interested in tryin it, but my knowledge of vehicle electrical systems consists of burning them up... :D

I'm not putting 12 volts to a 3 volt diode..

Its not that easy. You'll need some resistors to get the voltage down.

care to do a write up on that?? :) ,,, i'd be interested in tryin it, but my knowledge of vehicle electrical systems consists of burning them up... :D

I'd love to do a write up on it, but I'm not knowledgeable in the "building my own lamp" department, so I too, am stuck with buying the pre-made not-that-bright LED Bulbs :(

I'm not putting 12 volts to a 3 volt diode..

Its not that easy. You'll need some resistors to get the voltage down.

I was referring to LED's already pre-made in say a 3157 Bulb format. A lot of LED's you can buy now, now come with the proper resistor attached along with a 1ft run of wire or so.

Then if you want to build your own Lamp, then yes, you would buy just the raw LED, some Breadboard, and the proper Resistors and such and be on your way to making a really nice actually bright LED setup.

Since I moved to Florida, I turn them off pretty much daily because I see no need to run them, dont like the white hase that the heat creates inside the housing, and its entirely too ****in bright out to warrant the use of them at all.

I tried the LED route. Dint work out. Anyone who saw my pics realize that LED's, of that type anyways, were completely worthless inside the DRL housings.

I'm curious to know what those cost...

I also tried the led lights, didn't last long at all, been thinking about strobing my drl housing....

Since I moved to Florida, I turn them off pretty much daily because I see no need to run them, dont like the white hase that the heat creates inside the housing, and its entirely too ****in bright out to warrant the use of them at all.

I tried the LED route. Dint work out. Anyone who saw my pics realize that LED's, of that type anyways, were completely worthless inside the DRL housings.

I'm curious to know what those cost...

Yea, Nick, since I got my truck back, I threw in the White ones I told you about, and it isn't even worth doing comparo. pics. Even with there being 60 SMT's in each lamp, it looks EXACTLY like your Amber ones, just these are white. So once again, I get the shaft from LED's :eek:

I really need to concentrate and learn how to make LED Lamps, I wanna do the 5 LUMILEDS like in the A8 L soooo bad.

Back