• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LED bug

Pipepro

McMuddy
Reaction score
Yall finally got to me, had to put some extra lights in the cab. Was browsing around at the local Autozone and came up with some nice single 12VDC blue LED's. Picked up 8 of em, and some 15" LED strip lights with the GHEY double sided tape on the back. Put the Strip lights under the dash for Footwell lights, drilled the others into the storage compartments. One in the overhead, one in the deep one on the dash, one in the useless compartment by the Power outlets, 2 in the lower CD holder, and one in the back of the cup tray. It went prety smooth, but how to switch em was the problem. Ended up doing some modifications to the overhead map lights. We re-wired the drivers map light to be controlled with the passengers switch and used that switch to power all the LED's. The switches are SPDT, with one hot from the theater lighting and one constant 12VDC. So, now they come on when you open the door, and I can turn them on with the overhead switch when I want some mood lighting. One nice feature is that I can open the doors, override the dome lights with the dash pushbutton and turn on the blue lights by themselves. I plan to put some more under the seats in the rear, prolly have to wait till next weekend.

DSCN0369.jpg

DSCN0371.jpg

DSCN0372.jpg

DSCN0375.jpg

DSCN0373.jpg

Thanks yall. I wanted to be able to have some light for getting in and out of the truck in the dark, seems the kids are always losing something. I dont know if I will be driving with them on or not, I did spend some time and placed them so that the bulb is not in my line of vision when I am sitting in the drivers seat. I love how nice and easy they were to install, I may have to try some side markers in the side mirrors next!

care to do a diy on how to wire all that. i'm no electrician and that looks like something i might do..... :D

Rats, I new I shoulda had the camera charged before I started. Ill try and work out a diagram and some of the finer points later this week. It isnt difficult, I am sure you can do it as well.

talk to schulte....he has a way to use the leds and replace the factory back lighting on the HAVAC, steering wheel and dash light controls...

I saw a few pics from a guy that had done the whole shebang on the dash and steering wheel. It looked awesome! I am a bit nervous to try it, shaky hands and big sausage fingers arent the hot ticket for small led/resistor soldering. I am planning on swapping the 194 bulbs in the map lights to blue led type, and I want to put a 2 gauge pod on the A pilar with blue backlit gauges. The dash cluster may have to wait till I try it on a friends '03 Tahoe first...

Rats, I new I shoulda had the camera charged before I started. Ill try and work out a diagram and some of the finer points later this week. It isnt difficult, I am sure you can do it as well.

that would be great. never been to electrically inclined with small voltage stuff, anything you got to help would be cool.... :thumbsup:

looks good btw.

It might help to get a couple extra leds for behind the cluster and such....remember looking at the leds your only getting appx a 30* viewing angle! I have 7 leds behind my 4x4 button alone when stock there is 5 so you get the idea...in order to achieve the levels you want order some more...ie behind the cluster, your gonna need a handful extra...:D Another thing, if your not the best with soldering then might want to look into some preresistored LEDs that already have a resistor in them...dont ask me how its done, I cant see the difference myself so its a little less soldering!

<-------Example...:D

By the way, the lighting looks good....also it might also work a little better if you wire them into your door lights since the wires come right from your door panel, just another idea...

Last edited:
By the way, the lighting looks good....also it might also work a little better if you wire them into your door lights since the wires come right from your door panel, just another idea...

That is a great idea Andy. I wouldn't have thought of that, but would be a smart thing to do. Open the door, and have all the light you need to get in the truck at night. Pipepro, nice job on all the lights. Lights in the cubby holes are a real nice touch, and efective as well.

Back