• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leaking fuel filter housing

yes they can leak. through the wires and also I believe there is an oring there too. you might open it up and replace the orings in there and see unless the wires are cruddy looking, go ahead and replace the whole unit and a new bottom nut. I believe they are plastic and can crack with age and heat.

yes they can leak. through the wires and also I believe there is an oring there too. you might open it up and replace the orings in there and see unless the wires are cruddy looking, go ahead and replace the whole unit and a new bottom nut. I believe they are plastic and can crack with age and heat.
Did that last night, gave it a clean and 2 New orings 1 at the heater and 1 at the Walter sensor

sounds like it's time to order a new FFM. in a pinch if it's a tiny leak you can use some high temp RTV silicone sealant on where the wires are exiting the heater only to buy you a week or so of time while you wait for the new one to arrive.

not sure how the climate is in your area, but if it's warm enough not to gel the fuel, there is no harm in eliminating the FFM and installing a remote mount filter on the firewall. that's what I did. but weather here rarely gets cold enough to worry about fuel gelling.

last winter it got down to 16 degrees, my bowl on the filter turned white due to gelling, but as soon as the engine warmed up there was enough heat in under the hood to keep the engine happy driving to work. Though if we start seeing more winters like that I may get a new FFM to put back under the hood.

I replaced the 2 o-ring on mine initially. a while back.
It was still leaking from the location where the wire comes out of the fuel heater.
There is no way, I see, to seal it.
So, that is why I ended up replacing the FFM with a new one.

If it is any consolation, the new one have better seals and it came with new OE filter.
So, the price is not that bad.
The OE filter is at least $30, if it is even still available separately.

Old thread, I know.
Ordered the FTB conversion kit from Leroy.
Dismantled the FFM and discovered that the heater rod is swollen and has a split in at the top.
Guess I better cancel that FTB kit and just get the complete unit coming already set up.
Dang.

Probably a lot easier to install one that's all ready to go too!. if the harness will allow for it, maybe fab up some brackets so you can mount the assembly up on the firewall giving you some wiggle room to get at the OPS sensor and other things down there in the future. even rerouting the fuel hoses over top of the intake so that rubber isn't down in the valley in all the heat of the engine too.

Probably a lot easier to install one that's all ready to go too!. if the harness will allow for it, maybe fab up some brackets so you can mount the assembly up on the firewall giving you some wiggle room to get at the OPS sensor and other things down there in the future. even rerouting the fuel hoses over top of the intake so that rubber isn't down in the valley in all the heat of the engine too.
Yeah. Thinking of some longer bolts and spacers to get the FFM above the intake manifold.
I remember reading where someone had done that, got the fuel hoses above the manifold.
I think that Leroys FFM does have the harness terminal connectors already attached to the wires.
I have a remote hose for the OPS and it will be clamped to the firewall where the hood lamp connector is mounted to a stud with a nut. Thats the plan anyhow.

The biggest pain is the harness could be a little longer for doing that. I did it on mine
It must have been You that I read about doing that.
If the wires are not long enough then I most likely will extend them, or, I wonder if the harness bracket could be set on the top of the spacers too ? Seems there is plenty of room for the entire harness to move up higher.

Back