• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leaking coolant line to the rear heater

JMJNet

Recruit
Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody know how to fix the coolant line that goes to the rear heater.

I have a leak where the line bend and it goes with a rubber hose bend 90 deg connecting 2 metal tube. It is leaking on the crimp connection when the metal line join with the rubber.

How do you fix it?

Nothing major, just have to fill the AF everytime. Be nice to fix it.

You can cut the tubing on both sides and scrounge up a molded hose at the parts store thats close to the right length, cut to fit and install and clamp to existing tube.

Missy

Either that or copy the fix used sometimes on the oil cooler lines where one places a U-Clamp around the crimp. Not sure if you could find the right size but they would be known as air tube clamps available from Napa.

Robyns fix is more than likely better in the long run.

It turns out there is a quick connect connecting the metal tube to the rubber hose bend. The leak is at the quick connect.

I will assume that the connector is fastened to the hard line.

These couplers normally have an Oring in them.

The issue is usually corrosion between the Oring and the mating part.

You may be able to disassemble the thing and clean the Oring and the seat area and grease it a bit and then reassemble.

Yes, it is a hard line going into a quick connect then it becomes rubber.

I will try to take it out and clean or replace the oring.

Thanks Robyn.

Update:

I fixed by cutting the quick-connect right after the factory crimp. I put on a 3/4" barb to barb connector and a little piece of heater hose with clamps.

It seems to fix the leak.

It is a small problem but it is another leak point.

Issue is that if it blows it will be a real PITA and it surely wont happen in the driveway at home.

Fortunatley these rigs do have a low coolant light and if it pops on you can at least save things and shut it off before you fry it.

I know, that is why I specially located a brass (metal) barb instead of plastic Then, I put double clamps on each connectors.

It is not much worst that those quick connect which are made of plastic. I thought it was leaking at the seating of the quick connect to the pipe as you stated but it is dripping from the plastic section, which probably has hairline cracks.

By the way, there are not too many places sells 3/4" brass connectors. The part store only carries plastic and the metal/brass only up to 5/8". Good thing there is one traditional hardware store here that still have some of these.

Back