• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lbz Vs Lly

MGILBERT18

Reaction score
As I am new to the diesel world and looking to buy a duramax truck, I read the specs and see only small differences between the two. I do not see any big differences in the LLY & LBZ. Is major performance difference that the LBZ has been tuned different coming from the factory? If this is true, then theoretically, the LLY could be tuned to basically the same output as the LBZ. If you install an aftermarket tuner, then you should basically get the same output? Any thoughts for a soon to be newbie.

all 6.6 duramax's can be tuned above and beyond what they came with from the factory. you will have to worry about the transmissions ability to hold that power though. that seems to be the weakest link in the truck....

as far as lly, lbz argument....

lb7....01-04 ..... 300hp, 520lb/ft
lly.... 04.5-05.....310hp, 605lb/ft
lly/lbz....06-07....360hp, 650lb/ft
lmm....07.5+....365hp, 660lb/ft

06 was a funny year for the lly. it still retained the name of the 04.5-05 model year but included the increased output for 06-07..... the 06 lly also came with the 6sp trans/tap shift option that the earlier lly motors didnt.

all 6.6 duramax's can be tuned above and beyond what they came with from the factory. you will have to worry about the transmissions ability to hold that power though. that seems to be the weakest link in the truck....

06 was a funny year for the lly. it still retained the name of the 04.5-05 model year but included the increased output for 06-07..... the 06 lly also came with the 6sp trans/tap shift option that the earlier lly motors didnt.
I thought the 06 LLY was lower HP than the LBZ but otherwise the same. (just different tuning)

Will the '06 LLY have a "2" as the eighth digit of the VIN? There is still the question as to the out put of the '06 LLY?

I did a google search and what I found said the 2006 LLY was 310 HP but is exactly the same as the LBZ except for the programming.

whoops. those're numbers i pulled from gmfs.com .... i didin't know the difference in output, just took someone else's number for true. :doh:

thanks.

As said before.... 04.5 - 05 LLY's are rated at 310 hp.
06 lly's are rated at 310 hp but are identical - internally and externally - to the lbz

06 - 07 lbz's are rated at 360.

06 LLY's have the black and red duramax emblem and have vin code 2
06 lbz's have the blue emblem and have vin code D

Another note is that all trucks with a ZF6 after 06 had the "LLZ" il call it.

Back