• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ preferred programmer

Odlaw

Redneck
Reaction score
Now that I'm chasing wiring codes, I need to get ahead of myself and ask what programmer you guys recommend (tired of driving up to oreilly's to get a code cleared). So, I'm looking for something that will give me the best bang for my buck......and I prefer that the pile of bucks be as small as possible. lol

My plans for this truck are exhaust, gauges, intake, programmer and slightly oversized tires with a mild lift/level - I've had trucks with 36" buckshots and 12" of lift - I'm too old for that now...well, at least my knees are.):h

I tow my equipment trailer once or twice a month 7x20 tandem with tractor and implements about 8k #s total. I'll be purchasing a 5'er sometime next year.

I've already had around 1200 miles of experience with a LBZ towing around 16,500 k with a very mild tune and stock exhaust and was totally impressed. I will not be racing, sled pulling or anything that extreme.

Thanks
Smitty

Since your not looking for much power. The Hypertech would work well. Plenty of power, generally tow friendly, and it can read/clear codes.

I'll still say the Predator programmer is my favorite for "best bang for your buck" when it comes to the LLY/LBZ. Just my .02... Towed 1000's of miles with it pulling my camper and daily driving, never had a problem with it, can read and clear codes, and for a few hundred bucks, gives you up to as little as 40hp and as much as 120hp to the wheels. I miss my Dmax because of how it was with the 85hp tune on the Predator.

I'll still say the Predator programmer is my favorite for "best bang for your buck" when it comes to the LLY/LBZ. Just my .02... Towed 1000's of miles with it pulling my camper and daily driving, never had a problem with it, can read and clear codes, and for a few hundred bucks, gives you up to as little as 40hp and as much as 120hp to the wheels. I miss my Dmax because of how it was with the 85hp tune on the Predator.

I ran a predator also. Great programmer. Both would work fine, even the PPE standard but it's a little higher.

I had a Predator, went with an EFI tow tune, and finally settled on a DSP5 setup. The Predator was great but I got tired of swapping programs went I went to tow. The EFI tow tune was not as powerful but it was super smooth. After that I ended up with a DSP5 setup and it's awesome to tow or have some fun with a twist of a switch.

In my experience, with may be limited, the EFI tunes are the smoothest. Guy at SoCal Diesel did all my work and I couldn't be happier. The 2 wire install is super simple. As a note, I do still have my Predator, as it's a pretty good scan tool for what it is...

EFI is the way to go but it's spendy.

If you just want a simple hand held tuner, the Predator or Hypertech are both the way to go. The predator will make it feel so light on its feet and you'll get a mileage increase out of it. The Hypertech is also very good and I'm currently running that but I own both.

The predator will make it feel so light on its feet and you'll get a mileage increase out of it.

I never thought of it like that Nick, but the more I think about it you are right. There is a feeling of how much power it has from the Predator and it does give it a feeling of "light on it's feet". Thats a really good way of putting it.

Effortless lane changes...

Smitty, pm me your address or meet me somewhere and I'll let you use my Predator for a while until you get situated and figure out which tune you want. It's just laying in my back seat right now since I'm running Hypertech.

didn't predator disable the tuner for disabling the EGR codes when you delete it?

I was looking at one for a friend of mines LLY and I was told they killed that function...why?:confused:

Back