• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ/LLY Belt squeak fix

blizzardplowman

Crowd Control
Reaction score
Get the updated belt. Fixed mine, hasnt made noise since

Subject: LBZ LB7 LLY 6.6L Duramax Diesel Engine Accessory Drive Belt Chirp, Squeal or Squeak Type Noise at Cold Start Idle (Replace Accessory Drive Belt) #07-06-01-003 - (03/07/2007)

Replace with GM
Accessory Drive Belt (1367 mm) Part Number 98035628

Note number is for single 145 amp alt.

I think they finally got mine whipped. They put the updated belt on and drilled out the power steering pulley bracket per the TSB.

Sorry to be the one to ask the "dumb" question, but when are you guys getting the belt squeak? When I turn the truck off, as soon as the key gets to the off position, I get this what you could call a "squeak" from the engine that last no more then a quarter second. Just wondering if this is the same thing that I have seen talked about before. My '05 LLY never did this and this truck has done it pretty much since I bought it (bought it used with 79k miles). Thanks for any answers.

Sorry to be the one to ask the "dumb" question, but when are you guys getting the belt squeak? When I turn the truck off, as soon as the key gets to the off position, I get this what you could call a "squeak" from the engine that last no more then a quarter second. Just wondering if this is the same thing that I have seen talked about before. My '05 LLY never did this and this truck has done it pretty much since I bought it (bought it used with 79k miles). Thanks for any answers.

I never got it at shut down only at start up. The gatorback fixed it for me.

My squeak was occasional at first. The stealer said they only needed to clean my belt. That fixed it for only a few hundred miles before it returned. The squeak returned and was constant and would drive me absolutely nuts at idle. It went from "is this only in cold weather?" to doing it all the time.

I presented them with TSB 07-06-01-003 (replacement belt) & TSB 1870272(power steering pump pulley bracket alignment). They did both which seems to have fixed it. I didn't see it when I just looked up TSB 1870272, but I thought they were prescribing drilling out the power steering pump pulley bracket holes out to allow for greater alignment play. This might be in TSB 05-06-01-018A. I'll be damned if I can find 05-06-01-018a right now. I just looked for ten minutes for the dang thing. Also, if this didn't fix it, they could move the pulley 1mm on the shaft ( I believe towards the fire wall) to eliminate any remaining noise.

My engine has been purring with no squeak. Now if I can get a rear slider that doesn't leak like a sieve.

Last edited:
The belt squeak I'm getting isn't concerning me too much right now, like I said, it's nothing I have hear on this or my other Dmax. It's just at shut down, so if it starts happening at start up, or while the truck is idling/running, then I might take it to the dealer along with the TSB, and have them fix it. I still have about 17,500 miles left on the engine warrenty, so I still have some time to see what will happen.

IIRC there is another bulletin for squeak at shutdown. I believe they replace the alternator with a clutched one.

good luck.

i need to get mine done,but it hasnt been doing it since the weather has warmed up a bit.but in the winter ittl scream like a stuck pig

Back