• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ intake on a LB7

jcool

#78 A(ACLU) FNG
Reaction score
I know the LBZ intake goes right on the LLY's and considering the LB7 and LLY intakes are the same as it looks to me then would the LBZ intake work on the LB7?

It is EXPENSIVE. It takes a lot of rework and new part numbers to make the LBZ intake system work on an LLY, but I suppose, if you have the time and money, it can be made to work in an LB7 also.

Why would you want to switch the intakes from an LBZ to an LLY or LB7? Don't the LBZs have the expensive filers?

They do but they supposedly flow way better. If you look at both intakes side by side, you'd see that LBZ intake tubes are at least an inch diameter larger.

Hmm interesting. I wonder is a person could fab it so a LB7/LLY air box could fit the intake tube of an LBZ

Why would you want to switch the intakes from an LBZ to an LLY or LB7? Don't the LBZs have the expensive filers?
\

on a lly it greatly deminishes the overheat problems that prone it. on the lb7 it would just be a flow improvement over stock and still offer great filtration which is what my primary thought for the switch. if my truck was an lly it would have been my first mod, its not terribly pricy on gmpartsdirect.com, its actually cheaper than the banks kit and offers better filtration imo.

I have a stock intake that I need to off load....I'd even throw in a stock donaldson filter and an AFE dry flow filter with it...

I think putting on that intake on an LLY was the dealership's "quik fix" for the overheating problems but I don think it actually did anything.

Hmm interesting. I wonder is a person could fab it so a LB7/LLY air box could fit the intake tube of an LBZ

if you have the lly motor i would highly recommend the lbz intake along with the turbo inlet tube. the whole lly overheat condition has been beat to death but imo this is the best option over that whole v2 mess. that and it is still a factory item, so warrenty work will not be an issue.

I have a stock intake thats I need to off load....I'd even throw in a stock donaldson filter and an AFE dry flow filter with it...

I think putting on that intake on an LLY was the dealership's "quik fix" for the overheating problems but I don think it actually did anything.

that alone did a little, the biggest is the turbo inlet tube.

Or the cooling system...Which from what I hear was subpar...Or the turbo, which I hear was a plausible theory.

Or the cooling system...Which from what I hear was subpar...Or the turbo, which I hear was a plausible theory.

from what i have seen the cooling system does its job, yet while its doing it is feeding the intake 'hot' air causing a visous circle. and yes the turbo is part only due to the intake of hot air... it was a poorly tested design imo from the factory

on edit. the cooling system on an lly is the same as on my lb7

Last edited:
This is interesting. Sorry for hijacking your thread Justin.

its quite alright, quite a few people will more than likely say the only remedy for the lly overheat is the v2 cooling system upgrade. it works and all but is not the root cause of the issue.

It is EXPENSIVE. It takes a lot of rework and new part numbers to make the LBZ intake system work on an LLY, but I suppose, if you have the time and money, it can be made to work in an LB7 also.

Well...what do you need?

This has started soooo many heated arguments over the years...

I had an LLY. I had a good truck. It was tuned with basically the same mods I have now and I didnt pull anything heavier than 8000 lbs or so. I never overheated. I did hear my fan come on a couple times driving through the Adirondack mountains in upstate NY with a camper and 95 degree OAT temps.

I think over the years, the arguments turned from why they overheat to what are the fixes and who sells them. I dont think anyone really knows why they ran hot. Some would run hot just looking at a long grade. Some were worked and never got hot. Some say that they ALL overheat. Some say they dont. All I'm saying is that it never happened to me...Maybe I didnt work it hard enough or climb a steep enough grade or have a heavy or drag induced load to warrant running hot...Some say that the cooling system wasnt strong enough and that they did make changes. Some say it was the turbos with the new VVT style. If yours didnt run hot pulling a load, some would say that there are no "real" grades along the east coast. Some say that there are no "real" temps like the south west has, especially the Arizona guys. Some say the V2 was the fix and others say they're not all that. Some bought fan dams to install to suck up more air into the radiator stack to add air flow. GM thought that the LBZ air boxes would cure this. I dont know if it helped any people or not. I think its funny though that after 05, GM completely changed the design for the 06 LLY/LBZ engines and the problem seemed to be gone.

I also dont think GM engineers could find out why they were actually running so damn hot doing what they were designed to do. I think after so many _______ (Insert number there) customer complaints, they said **** it and lets get a new design going and going now.

Of course, I could be wrong. I was just a guy with his name highlighted in green that wasnt paid to police up the same old people who argued all the time about this very subject. It got old after a while and everyone saw it. Every month during the summer months, never failed, you'd see some oblivious guy logging in with 0 posts asking if anyone's ever heard of an overheating 04.5 or 05 DMax. The flame wars began, posts got deleted, people got banned and the thread gets shut down...Like clock work, it always happened, every day, every time. Finally people got sick of reading it...The same old shit day in and day out...And no one was actually answering the questions anymore. On occasion people would post a link to TX Chris's site to find a fix for this issue...Round and round we went, year after year...

Sorry for getting off topic...

This has started soooo many heated arguments over the years...

I had an LLY. I had a good truck. It was tuned with basically the same mods I have now and I didnt pull anything heavier than 8000 lbs or so. I never overheated. I did hear my fan come on a couple times driving through the Adirondack mountains in upstate NY with a camper and 95 degree OAT temps.

I think over the years, the arguments turned from why they overheat to what are the fixes and who sells them. I dont think anyone really knows why they ran hot. Some would run hot just looking at a long grade. Some were worked and never got hot. Some say that they ALL overheat. Some say they dont. All I'm saying is that it never happened to me...Maybe I didnt work it hard enough or climb a steep enough grade or have a heavy or drag induced load to warrant running hot...Some say that the cooling system wasnt strong enough and that they did make changes. Some say it was the turbos with the new VVT style. If yours didnt run hot pulling a load, some would say that there are no "real" grades along the east coast. Some say that there are no "real" temps like the south west has, especially the Arizona guys. Some say the V2 was the fix and others say they're not all that. Some bought fan dams to install to suck up more air into the radiator stack to add air flow. GM thought that the LBZ air boxes would cure this. I dont know if it helped any people or not. I think its funny though that after 05, GM completely changed the design for the 06 LLY/LBZ engines and the problem seemed to be gone.

I also dont think GM engineers could find out why they were actually running so damn hot doing what they were designed to do. I think after so many _______ (Insert number there) customer complaints, they said **** it and lets get a new design going and going now.

Of course, I could be wrong. I was just a guy with his name highlighted in green that wasnt paid to police up the same old people who argued all the time about this very subject. It got old after a while and everyone saw it. Every month during the summer months, never failed, you'd see some oblivious guy logging in with 0 posts asking if anyone's ever heard of an overheating 04.5 or 05 DMax. The flame wars began, posts got deleted, people got banned and the thread gets shut down...Like clock work, it always happened, every day, every time. Finally people got sick of reading it...The same old shit day in and day out...And no one was actually answering the questions anymore. On occasion people would post a link to TX Chris's site to find a fix for this issue...Round and round we went, year after year...

Sorry for getting off topic...

its all good man. I know what you mean. every time i mentioned the fact that the best option for people was the lbz intake WITH the turbo inlet tube i was flamed. i have done my research on the issues the lly is prone to and gave what i believe to be the best option.... at the same time though, the v2 upgrade also works, but is just not the root cause of the problem. restrictions in airflow, injestion of heat when the cooling fan engages among other things cause this overheat condition. we really should just create a thread with just the solutions rather than peoples arguements. also guys there is an article on this in the latest maxxtorque magazine! great read! with i had of thought of all this first!

Justin you are going to have to copy the pictures and post them on something like photobucket.

Back