• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

lbz glow plug questions

dentpusha

LOCKED&LOADED
Reaction score
Ive had the po68 code 4-5 times now and the wts light stays on on the first crank of the day.Ive read alot about the the past few days and I still have a few questions.

1.Is this someting that I need to stop driving the truck until I fix it.I plan on doing it soon maybe a week or two.

2.Why is not just replacing the one thats throwing a code not a good idea?

3.Is it the alarm or the remote start the causes this.

4.Is there a trick or some skill needed to remove the glow plugs without breaking the element.Does this just happen when you go to pull it out or do they just break sometimes?

I have no problems with my local dealer but Id rather just do it myself if I can.Thanks for any info

My advice is have the DEALER do the job, glow plug ends can swell and then break when being removed. IIRC you are covered for $100 deductible and if they break it they own it.

I would not take the chance for $100.

JMHO.

My advice is have the DEALER do the job, glow plug ends can swell and then break when being removed. IIRC you are covered for $100 deductible and if they break it they own it.

I would not take the chance for $100.

JMHO.
==============================================================
*suncoast IV with 1057,snake oil,ats deep pan,co pilot billit input shaft done by mike l
*mpi twins,banks intercooler,4 in exhaust,bd manifold,egr blocked,pcv rerouted
==============================================================
with that sig...I think he may be worried a little...;)

Glow plugs are covered under the Emissions Warranty and will cost you nothing. I just had my number 3 and 4 glow plug changed with no cost.

I thought the dealers were replacing all glow plugs when one went bad now.If I can fix this problem by just replacing one (#8) myself id rather do this.Breaking one off and having to remove the head is what scares me.Im not too worried about the add ons and what the dealer will say,its more like I dont want removing stuff in the way to replace all of them if it dont need it.The driver side isnt too bad but my pass side has the twin setup and its hard enough to replace a fuel filter,I cant imagine doin the glowplugs with all this stuff in the way.But it may be possible.How long does it take to relpace them all on a stock truck?

We just replace the bad ones here unless it breaks. If they break we dont even try to get it out the customer gets a new head. We have spent considerable time in the past sending the heads out to get repaired to no avail and gm has not bitched about the heads yet. I would be worried about the warranty though with the sig, unless you and them have a good relationship. I know here I could make it fly, but not everywhere is cool with that stuff.

We just replace the bad ones here unless it breaks. If they break we dont even try to get it out the customer gets a new head. We have spent considerable time in the past sending the heads out to get repaired to no avail and gm has not bitched about the heads yet. I would be worried about the warranty though with the sig, unless you and them have a good relationship. I know here I could make it fly, but not everywhere is cool with that stuff.

Im really not sure what they would say bout the stuff thats on this thing.You have an off hand percentage of break/dont break.Im thinking Ill start by replacing the number 8 myself and go from there.You have any thoughts on the remote start causing this kinda thing?

thanks

The percentage is not something you want to hear. :) Start now spraying pb blaster on it then daily and let it soak in for a week or so. you may get lucky. You may get lucky if you dont see the shit weather we do here in ne.

Mine came out easily because I live in FL and the truck has never seen any kind of winter weather. If it has spent any amount of time in the salt belt, I probably wouldn't try to do it myself, warranty or not... the glow plugs are long and skinny with the hex portion at the very end. Seems like the slightest bit of corrosion can easily lead to their snapping off upon removal.

The tip breaking off or burning off inside the cylinder is another concern also.

Changed my #8 three months ago no problem here. I was a little shaky about doing it after reading all the post. Now all is good and time for hunting season

Is anyone else having problems with their glow plugs. I just had a third glow plug go bad on me since I moved down here to TX from NY.

I had the #8 go bad on me last spring. The dealer replaced all 8 for the $100 ded then a couple weeks later sent me a check for the $100 back said GM covered it all.

Just thought I'd throw this in. 2006 GMC 3500 with 72,000 and out of warranty this past March. Had 3 bad glow plugs,one broke off inside, just about 4k for the dealer to fix (removing the head). Thankfully this is a truck here at work, had it been mine, I don't know what I'd do???

Just thought I'd throw this in. 2006 GMC 3500 with 72,000 and out of warranty this past March. Had 3 bad glow plugs,one broke off inside, just about 4k for the dealer to fix (removing the head). Thankfully this is a truck here at work, had it been mine, I don't know what I'd do???

YIKES! :eek:

Did the tip burn out and break off inside the cylinder, or did the glow plugs twist and break when the dealer tried to remove them because they were frozen to the aluminum head?

That's (sort of) why I got rid of mine...taking the heads off is big money. It had the crimped head gaskets that seem to like to leak and the upper hose felt really stiff after sitting overnight on a couple of occasions. The dealer told me it was a $5k job to do both head gaskets... that's a lot of coin to drop and still have a 6 year old truck with other 6 year old parts starting to wear out.

Back