• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ fuel gauge sucks.

dmaxfan

Iliketomakewerewolfmovies
Reaction score
On 1/16 of a tank you may be able to put in 20 gallons. I assume everyone is having this problem. The LB7 was the complete opposite.

On 1/16 of a tank you may be able to put in 20 gallons. I assume everyone is having this problem. The LB7 was the complete opposite.

I would agree with you. I start looking when I get to a 1/4 of a tank. Even then it might take either 16 gallons or 22 gallons.

my lb7 fuel gauge sucks azz.... by 3/4 of a tank, ive used more than half of my tank (26 gal tank, with 17 or so to fill up.....) by 1/2 tank, i will have to put in 22 gallons....

****ing pieces of shit...

but hey,,,the rest of my truck works pretty damn good

I typically run mine down right until the low light comes on. Even then, the most I've ever pumped into my stock tank is around 22 gallons.

What I've also noticed is that right after filling up, the fuel gauge never reads full, it has to work its way up like a Toyota's or something. Never had that problem with my Suburban.

I typically run mine down right until the low light comes on. Even then, the most I've ever pumped into my stock tank is around 22 gallons.

What I've also noticed is that right after filling up, the fuel gauge never reads full, it has to work its way up like a Toyota's or something. Never had that problem with my Suburban.

My gauge does the same thing when I fuel up while the truck is running. If I turn the truck off and restart it states that it's full. Anymore, the pump looks like a frigging slot machine.:D

My gauge does the same thing when I fuel up while the truck is running. If I turn the truck off and restart it states that it's full. Anymore, the pump looks like a frigging slot machine.:D

Yep, same here. As for the gauge itself, it seems to be pretty true for me. Unless I have to, I never let it get much lower then 1/4 full. At 1/4 tank, I can get about 16-17 gallons.

Every GM I have ever had has been like this(That would be all of the cars/trucks I have ever owned) it is annoying but after 14 yrs I have gotten used to it. I usually try to fill up around 450 miles that way i give myself a 50 mile window to find fuel.

Which is why I use the trip odo as a reference as to when to fill up and the gauge for a quick glance only.

I agree. I dont run mine low much but I hate it when I fill the tank up and it takes a while for it to go to full. You'd think with all the money and the pain it would be if the diesel ran out of fuel they'd perfect that!

Now my 99 PSD down right scares me! You can drive it for 30 miles on halph a tank. Shut it off start up and it magically goes down to 1/8 :mad5:

my guage takes a while to read full as well after i fill up. but i was told that when the light comes, on at least in my gas truck i had, that there was a reserve built in once it got to empty, there was still a couple of gal in it, and it had a 26 gal tank and i never put more than 20 in that when the light came on i wounder if they did the same for diesel

The last half of the tank, especially the last 1/4, goes a lot faster than the first half.
I've found myself with a 1/4 tank, and thinking that I could make it to a certain spot, then sweating bullets 10 minutes later when the light comes on.
I look at the 1/4 mark as the empty mark now.

The LLY isn't much better.

When the light comes on you have no more than 100-yards to pull-over and re-fuel. The reality is that light isn't a warning light it is a light that should just say, "Ha, ha, ha - You're Screwed!"

Get a bigger tank! Only downside is WHEN you fill it up.

On my LBZ the fuel gauge is very accurate. If I fill it up while its running it will not go all the way to full unless I turn it off and restart it. It will go to full after 10 min or so with out restarting. If I fill up with the truck off it will always go to full when I start it.

My DIC is dead on! I reset the fuel used every tank, that way I know I have a 26 gallon tank and can tell how much fuel I have left by looking at how much I have used. If it says I have used 12.8 gallons I will be able to fill it up with in a 1/10 of a gallon to what the DIC says. I always fill right up to the cap so I know I am getting the same amount each time.

20/20 once did a special about how far cars can go till they run out of fuel when the gauge reads empty. They found that after the gauge reads empty and your range says you have no more distance the average American car went something around 50 miles or more before it ran out of gas. A letter by Chrystler said that they build in a safety reserve into the gauge and range estimates to insure you do not run out of fuel. They said the American consumer wants that safety net. Import cars have a safety net built in but a much lesser amount of "reserve" fuel. It seems that US car makers tend to have 2-5 gallons of fuel left when the gauge reads empty while import car companies tend to be 1-2 gallons until they run out of fuel.

I tend to get fuel at the half a tank to 1/4 tank left. The light has only come on one time and that was when I first test drove it at the dealer.

Back