• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ Extended warranty?

GM Major Guard Warranty yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • no

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

dtibbals

Official Gun Nut
Reaction score
I have a 2006 LBZ crew cab 4x4 with just over 35,000 miles. I am trying to decide if I should buy a Major Guard warranty for it. The cost is $1665 for a 36 month/45,000 mile extended warranty with a $100 deductible. The engine will have the 10/100k warranty even after this extended warranty will expire. The engine warranty is also a $100 deductible. I plan on keeping the truck once it is paid off and buying a daily driver and keeping it just for hunting etc.

Is the trans and 4x4 part of the 10/100 warranty or is it just the engine? Are bolt on items like the turbo, starter, alternator etc covered under the Duramax warranty?

All of your thoughts are appreciated!

Dave

The 100k powertrain wty started with the 07 MY. 06 and earlier have the 100k wty on the Dmax engnine only. As far as what it covers, and I'm doing this from memory, "engine, turbocharger and all associated components". You would need to read the warranty supplement that came in your owner's manual package to find out exactly what is covered. This is a separate book from the Dmax Engine Supplement.

I would not pay for an extended warranty at this point in the game. From new with 0 miles and a 100k extended warranty maybe, but not with 35k on the clock. That's just my opinion and my personal feelings of course.

Granted there are pros and cons to both sides, but you've had your truck now for a couple of years and 35k miles- you're familiar with it, know it's quirks, how many times you've had to bring it in for warranty service, etc. Base your judgement on those criteria IMO.

Is this coverage from GM, like the factory one or a different firm? If its not from GM they will most likely deny any claim you make, especially if it is costly.
I think they are a waste of money and you could use that $1600.00 over the life for repairs.

This is a GM major guard warranty and priced by my local dealer. They are actually cheaper then the dealers online selling them.

FYI this is 36 months and 45,000 miles above the years and mileage I currently have. So it would be for another 36 months from December 1st and for a total of 72,000 miles of pretty much bumper to bumper warranty less rattles, interior finishes etc. It does cover a loaner car, roadside etc. The only things really that have gone wrong is they replaced my front passenger seat because of a loose seat back and my trans lines. I would bet the trans lines will be needed again as most peoples trucks.

I got the GMPP 3yr/75k bumper to bumper shits with $0 deductable, towing and car rental. And i use it!!! I have had the dealer replace tranny cooler lines, 2 intermediate shafts, 1 radio, and the glow plug module so far. The intermediate shaft is clunking again as usual and the radio is screwing up again. Now i am waiting for the tie rods, idler arm and wheel bearings to give up the ghost. For me it was worth it.

I bought it when I bought the truck and shouldn't have. I've never had a use for the regular one anyway and am now over 78k. Maybe I'm just lucky but this truck has been perfect in every way... (so far)...

I have a 2006 LBZ crew cab 4x4 with just over 35,000 miles. I am trying to decide if I should buy a Major Guard warranty for it. The cost is $1665 for a 36 month/45,000 mile extended warranty with a $100 deductible. The engine will have the 10/100k warranty even after this extended warranty will expire. The engine warranty is also a $100 deductible. I plan on keeping the truck once it is paid off and buying a daily driver and keeping it just for hunting etc.

Is the trans and 4x4 part of the 10/100 warranty or is it just the engine? Are bolt on items like the turbo, starter, alternator etc covered under the Duramax warranty?

All of your thoughts are appreciated!

Dave
The standard 2006 GM Warranty is 36-mo/36K miles bumper to bumper. The Duramax engine's warranty is 60-mo/100K miles with $100 deductible per visit on the engine only. It does NOT include the transmission or anything else in the powertrain. If you have more than one covered problem they will all be covered for $100 as long as you report them on the same visit.

I have bought the GM Major Guard extended warranty for most of my vehicles. I've had to use it on some and not on others. I have never had any problems with them paying for a covered repair.

I bought a new 2003 Malibu for my son to take to college out of state because his old truck was costing us more to repair it every month than a car payment would have been and he was driving a lot of miles back and forth to school. I got the 5yr/50K miles warranty with ZERO deductible and I am glad I did. That Malibu was the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. He had a walk home failure almost every other month while away at school. I think the biggest problem was the dealer, but we were stuck with that dealer 'cause it was the only one in town while at school. I can't even count how many times we had to use the extended warranty on that car including towing and free car rental because they would have to keep the car overnight. I finally traded-in the car after 2 years and 40K miles. When I did, I canceled the extended warranty and GM sent me a prorated refund for the unused miles.

The GM extended warranty is basically an insurance policy except if you get rid of the vehicle before it expires, GM will send you a prorated refund. If you decide to get one, I would only get the GM extended warranty and not one from any other company.

I agree that GMPP is thye way to go. I bought it on-line when I bought my used DA. I have had it on several otheer GM vehicles and NEVER had an issue at a dealer. I just bought a 2009 GMC Acadia and I will buy it online before the end of the first 12,000 miles (cheapest rate)

Well, my GMPP is now covering 2 new heads and gaskets, one tie rod with wheel alignment and a new steering box. What do you think that bill would add up to if it was out of pocket? My GMPP was around $3800, i suspect the parts alone cost more than that no less labor for this repair. Who knows what the previous repairs have cost GMPP nor what the future repairs will cost.

I get it along with the plow truck endorsement, saved my butt a time or 2. Now on the Wife's ride, it was a waste, never used and time ran out long before mileage. Her new ride is an 03 Trailblazer 5300, 41k in 6 years.......Suppose I should help the economy and get her a new one but this truck has been good, 2 trips to the dealer in 6 years, total of $450 in repairs other than LOF.

If you drive your truck quite a bit or depend on it for making a living I say yes. But if you are getting a daily driver and the truck sits a lot I would save that money for a rainy day and hope/pray you dont get one.

Back