• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LB7 FAQ's

Diesel Dually

awaiting your return...signed... your friends
Reaction score
Lets start a FAQ section here.

Post up the questions, answers TSBs and I will consolidate them all into one FAQ Post...with credit due to the original poster.

Fuel Injection

Q: What are the symptoms of fuel injectors failing?
A: Poor fuel economy, excessive smoke and smell at idle, rough idling, engine oil contaminated with Diesel fuel, hard starting, excessive fuel return rates, reduced engine power, illumination of check engine light

Q: I think my fuel injectors are failing are they covered by warranty?
A: All 2001-2004 LB7 code duramax diesels are covered by warranty for 7 years of original service or 200,000 miles whichever comes first.

Q: Can I buy aftermarket injectors so I wont suffer injector failure?
A: No, Bosch makes all of the injectors for these engines however there are aftermarket nozzles (tips) that can allow for more fuel flow.

Last edited:
Q. Is the LB7 diesel motor the best Diesel every made?
A. HELL YA!!!!

Q. What kind of power can a stock LB7 motor hold reliably as a daily driver?
A. Generally most have found that 500RWHP is a fairly safe reliable number, BUT EVERY MOTOR IS DIFFERENT.

Q. What years do the LB7's come in?
A. 2001-2004.5

Q. In this time of outrageous fuel prices and a tough time keeping the tank full, what can I do to get a little more mileage out of my LB7?
A. Exhaust and intake have shown to help minimally, however it seems as though tuning is where people are making the most gain. Every engine and programer are all different and show different results

Q. On the 2004 Duramax how can I tell if I have and LB7 or an LLY

A. Check the 8th digit of Vin.

If it is a One (1) it is an LB7

If it is a Two (2) it is an LLY

A. HELL YA!!!!

A. Generally most have found that 500RWHP is a fairly safe reliable number, BUT EVERY MOTOR IS DIFFERENT.

A. 2001-2004

Q. In this time of outrageous fuel prices and a tough time keeping the tank full, what can I do to get a little more mileage out of my LB7?
A. Exhaust and intake have shown to help minimally, however it seems as though tuning is where people are making the most gain. Every engine and programer are all different and show different results

ON EDIT

Q: how can I increase my boost pressure in my LB7?

A: PPE boost valve/ PPE/Kennedy boost control.....or anything that restricts the flow of pressure from the turbo to the wastegate

exhaust and a lowpower programmer(stock tranny safe) and a light right foot keeping speeds around 60-65 on the highway seems to be the best mileage I have seen

Q: I hear what sounds to be air blowing with the engine running, poor power, kinda sluggish, my boost gauge is reading low whats the deal?

A: Look at the intercooler tube on the Drivers side for a small hole where it is rubbing on the power steering line. Weld, Epoxy or other patch, protect repair with hose or adjust clamps to take up slack, should be good to go.

You can have good balance rates and bad injectors.
Bad balance rates will not get your injectors replaced under the special policy...but it does happen.
Yes, you can remove the Cat with out setting a code.
Plugging the EGR will set a code.
Yes, there are LB7's with Cat's and EGR's!

A. HELL YA!!!!

A. 2001-2004.5

A. HELL YA!!!!

A. 2001-2004

ON EDIT
Actually 2001 - 2004.5 is correct for the LB7 run, the LLY showed up mid-year '04

Back