• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Kubota diesel issue

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So a friend of mine has a little 3 cyl Kubota tractor with a snowblower mounted on it and it won't start. I checked the glows and they all have continuity and power coming to them. When you crank it over seems like it has good cranking speed. It will almost start but blows tons of black smoke. I'm wondering if it has IP issues. Thoughts?

Do the wd40 trick. They are really susceptible to the tiniest amount of air in the line. I have pulled injectors and run the lines pivoted at a different angle to let the injectors "test spray" out of the engine to see plugged injectors.
Make sure the airfilter isnt plugged.

sure seemed like it had plenty of fuel, I tried a tiny bit of ether and it just bogged down. I did not check the air filter tho.

Maybe the fuse box?

Every now and then mine would just die. Wiggled the fuse-box and it would start and run again. Tightened -up the fuse box and have not had that issue in a long time.

I had a brand new small Kubota engine that had sit in storage a long time gum up the IP and "the rack" wouldn't move to properly meter the fuel. Its fuzzy in my memory but something like "the rack" was spring against the rotary governor mechanism and without the rack moving it wouldn't meter fuel correctly. We had taken off the fuel shut off solenoid so we knew that was good. Can't remember if the rack was visible under the FSOS or if there was another cover. It wasn't deep inside the IP. We did this check while still on the engine. "The rack" was some type of rack and pinion thing. Ended up sending the engine back to the supplier. I think they changed the IP.

Thanks for the replies so far air filter looks brand new. I'll have to see if I can find some time to look at the IP linkage.

He got his started finally I had him put a torpedo heater on it with a tarp and got the engine good and toasty. It idles fast now but no black smoke

So bad glow plugs not able to preheat enough?

I never saw that on a kobota, but that aint sayin much. 25-30 is about the worst I ever delt with on them.

Have your buddy consider installing a block heater. Sure, the Kubota manual states that it can cold-start in very cold conditions, but I prefer not to torture mine. Plugging it in on cold days only takes about 20 - 25 minutes to get the whole block nice and toasty.

sure seemed like it had plenty of fuel, I tried a tiny bit of ether and it just bogged down. I did not check the air filter tho.

Do not use ether on glow plug motors!!!

Try WD-40, its the propane used as propellent that works, use a propane torch (not lit, obviously!!).

I have a 40 yr old kubota 7200-?? tractor, never had start issues, ever. 'Course it does not get very cold here in SoCal, , , ,

-c-

Back