• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Kryptonite vs timken wheel bearings '13 Chev 1500

Chev2013

Reaction score
So my wheel bearing went out with a bang (literally) on the freeway, I was close to home (2 miles) so I limped her the rest of the way. Well by the time I got her home I had more problems then just the wheel bearing. Looking to replace my wheel bearings I can't decide between timken or kryptonite. I know kryptonite is made with timken bearings but supposedly it's stronger and built for lifted trucks with larger tires? Plus there's the lifetime warranty but they are double the price then some timkens (ebay so probably no warranty, says both 5 and 10 years depending where you look) I found and things are tight with cut hours right now

If your going to get the kryptonite- buy it straight from them ONLY!!!
a lot of fakes out there. Otherwise get the factory units, how long do they last?

timken makes great stuff. Same issue- many knock offs out there just like ac Delco branded stuff. Seems tons of small junk manufacturers are stamping and labeling everything as the big brand stuff then selling it cheaper online. Dont bite that fish hook like many of us learned the hard way. Only buy from authorized sellers or the few bucks you save may cost the truck.

If your going to get the kryptonite- buy it straight from them ONLY!!!
a lot of fakes out there. Otherwise get the factory units, how long do they last?

timken makes great stuff. Same issue- many knock offs out there just like ac Delco branded stuff. Seems tons of small junk manufacturers are stamping and labeling everything as the big brand stuff then selling it cheaper online. Dont bite that fish hook like many of us learned the hard way. Only buy from authorized sellers or the few bucks you save may cost the truck.

That's kinda what I figured with the sketchy warranty thing on the ebay timkens. Kryptonite I was gonna buy straight from them. Would you do timken or kryptonite since they are nearly the same just more money for the lifetime warranty and supposedly better for lifted trucks?

How bad you are gonna beat the heck out of it is the issue. Are you running 48” tires? You jumping the truck? How bad are you destroying pitman and idler arms now? How often are you replacing tie rod ends? Upper and lower ball joints? If you are eating these all like candy- then maybe the Kryptonite is the anwer.

If timken is lifetime and you dont mind the labor- and you beat it twice as hard as normal-but not like I said above, then expect to replace them in 100,000 more miles. Just do something to keep proof of purchase and warranty around when that happens.

I believe the kryptonite lasts longer than timken. Enough to justify the cost... umm...
If they last 20% longer and you keep it 500,000 miles, you might do 5 timkens and 3-4 kryptonites.

Most people do regular off roading with some hard hits and a foot of air at most and only once a year at that. If you don’t NEED upgraded steering components- then you don’t need this upgraded.

My question to you wasn’t rhetorical. How long did your factory ones last? How you use it and how long they lasted tells what you should do.

I bought this truck at 114k it's at 125k now. When I put on the lift I replaced both upper and lower control arms. The ball joints were okay when I replaced them. I haven't gone through any suspension or steering parts other then that till now. IDK how rough it was used before me but it was a female that used it for a vet truck. I off-road quite often but not so aggressive that I'm breaking stuff all the time

Ok. Filling out your signature line with truck details helps us know what you have and determine what we can advise.

Your tire/wheels shouldn’t be heavy enough to tear things up that fast. I would say run the timkens. Now, if you had my 160 lbs each tire set up- then yeah...

Welcome to the forum.
I have a 2500HD. My original hubs lasted 125k. I've had 2 more sets of hubs installed by my buddy. They have lasted well at all as I have 187k on my truck as of now.
I've often wondered the same thing as you asked. I'd like to try the Kryptonite hubs, but at the rate my truck is rusting out I think the hubs would be worth more than the truck. I bought SVKs think from Rock Auto for replacement. I'll do them myself this time.
Not exactly sure what brand was used by my shop, as he said he doesn't really know. He said he buys from parts warehouse that guarantees them for 3 years. That's exactly how long they lasted. 3 years each and I've gone through 2 set's.
I'm curious to hear how long yours last.

Welcome to the forum.
I have a 2500HD. My original hubs lasted 125k. I've had 2 more sets of hubs installed by my buddy. They have lasted well at all as I have 187k on my truck as of now.
I've often wondered the same thing as you asked. I'd like to try the Kryptonite hubs, but at the rate my truck is rusting out I think the hubs would be worth more than the truck. I bought SVKs think from Rock Auto for replacement. I'll do them myself this time.
Not exactly sure what brand was used by my shop, as he said he doesn't really know. He said he buys from parts warehouse that guarantees them for 3 years. That's exactly how long they lasted. 3 years each and I've gone through 2 set's.
I'm curious to hear how long yours last.
Thanks, yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking plus I'm gonna upgrade to a 2500 or 3500 after I buy a house. If the timkens go out before I upgrade I'll let you know

so I limped her the rest of the way. Well by the time I got her home I had more problems then just the wheel bearing

Many cheap towing plans out there like AAA, insurance, cell phone co, etc. for old high mile vehicles. Calling the hook to get it home vs. pushing it (limping) saves you additional damage, less stress, risk of fire, complete failure aka wheel falls off causing complete loss of control, or being plowed into by someone texting when you are doing way under the speed limit.

Some of us have learned the hard way with hours of labor and a grand in parts that could have been avoided with a $150 tow. Granted the hook not the first option on one's mind when things sort of break. Maybe it should be.

Back