• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

KENNEDY's special calibration 01-05 fan clutch

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I just ordered one of these due to my 7 year old less than 70K mile HAYDEN failing, and my replacement MURRAY from O REILLY's not even making it a 1K miles before it died. Here's the write up I did on KENNEDY's VS my old HAYDEN severe duty stock replacement(the MURRAY from O REILLY's is IDENTICAL to the HAYDEN in every way, so it's just a reboxxed HAYDEN).

Looking at the hayden and kennedy's clutches side by side they look basically identical. They both have the same fins, same casting bumps, same everything. But on closer inspection I did find some subtle differences between them. The bi metal spring on both is 5 wraps, but the hayden severe duty stock replacement is .055 thick in the actual coil portion of it whereas the kennedy spring is only .046. The 2nd noticeable difference I could find is how far the actual engagement shaft has to turn on each one before it is at full engagement. The hayden has to rotate the shaft roughly 40 degrees before it stops turning, but the kennedy only rotates roughly 30 degrees. The final difference is just by feel, but I put a small screwdriver into the little bit of open slotted shaft in the engagement shaft and tried to rotate them. The hayden clutch wouldn't budge at all with that thicker stiff spring, but the kennedy clutch could be turned with just a good twist. I know it's no real diffinitive test/comparison, but it's all I can do just by comparing them on the bench. Conclusion, the kennedy clutch is made by hayden, BUT it IS in fact a special calibration made for him. Will get it on once my radiator gets here and I figure out how to hook up my trans cooler lines(and I want to get the POS murray back to o reillys as that sucker just free wheels now with less than 2K miles on it).
KENNEDY's is the shiny one.
0810162306.jpg
0810162307.jpg
0810162310.jpg

Had a chance to try out the Kennedy clutch towing this weekend. Engine temps never got to 210 with it which was a HUGE improvement over the 215-220 running flat ground a few weeks back, and 240 I hit on a 8% grade.

KENNEDY has his on sale for $175, and you can normally find the HAYDEN's for $80-100. The 2886 seems to be the best of the OEM replacement HAYDEN's, but it wouldn't work for mine because of the lack of clearance from my swap.

It's been about 150k since I put the new Hayden in so I'm likely due. At least by next spring

My Kennedy just arrived. Spin on style for my 6.5. I do see the similarities to the hayden. Price wise - up here in Canada my hayden was 190 cad from our parts store and i paid 175 usd for the Kennedy. Good comparable price for what I hope is a better unit. Next month before I have time to upgradr my waterpump and fit the new style clutck. Ill post when I have a test drive.

Back