• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Keeping an NV4500 cool: aftermarket filtering and coolers

so which ones should I install tomorrow? if the driveshaft wont allow, I guess that makes up my mind that I am running the Gear Tech covers, but if there is room, what does everyone think?

I personally think that the Fast Coolers add more oil than the G.T. covers. Everyone agree? IMO that reason alone is a huge reason to take that route. Do you think cast aluminum would shed head better than extruded?

For everyone that responds, I would like your opinion on which one to run and why.

Thanks!

It runs 210 not towing. 250+ towing.

I did not have a gauge on the rear till after the mag-hytec went on. It sits between 140 - 170 with it.

I have seen it get hotter towing but, my exhaust points at the rear end.

Are those normal temperatures? I'd have thought it would have been much cooler.

Which Amsoil did you run?

I've been running Amsoil in the K3500 ever since I swapped trans. I've never liked the way this trans shifts. Maybe it's the oil.

Can you shift without using the clutch?

There is no way I could shift this trans without a clutch. You have to be going extremely slow in every gear to shift without a clutch on this. I drove the old Getrag 5 speed in the 89 for weeks at a time without a clutch. It had better gear raTios and shifted nice. I heard people had problems with the Getrags. But I went 800,000 miles on the same trans at an average GVW of 8900 lbs - not terrible - I rarely pulled a trailer. Used Amsoil gear lube.

Which Amsoil did you run?

I've been running Amsoil in the K3500 ever since I swapped trans. I've never liked the way this trans shifts. Maybe it's the oil.

Can you shift without using the clutch?

There is no way I could shift this trans without a clutch. You have to be going extremely slow in every gear to shift without a clutch on this. I drove the old Getrag 5 speed in the 89 for weeks at a time without a clutch. It had better gear raTios and shifted nice. I heard people had problems with the Getrags. But I went 800,000 miles on the same trans at an average GVW of 8900 lbs - not terrible - I rarely pulled a trailer. Used Amsoil gear lube.

I used the proper Amsoil MTG 75w90 that says on the label designed especially for the NV4500.

I can float the gears, but not as easy as my SM465. :) as long as the throttle is accurate, it does OK. I seem to float gears better on my 95 than my 93.

I drained the amsoil out, and it flat has some detergents. black as night. :)

the trans and the rear end both I dont think the PO ever changed oil. I am ashamed to say this is the first I have changed them (allways kept them full luckily), basically put 30K on the pickup before properly servicing the rear end and trans. :(

So Snowdrift and Jeff and all others, I need opinions on these darn coolers. :) gotta do it in a few hours, so I need to make a decision.

Thanks!

Are those normal temperatures? I'd have thought it would have been much cooler.

I dumped out the wrong fluid and replaced it with almost 4 quarts of the GM stuff.

I ran my truck at 75mph for about 40 miles in 85f outside temp. It went to 210 and stayed there. This is unloaded.

On the same trip running 65 or 70 it stays about 20 degrees cooler. Unloaded also.

The fluid did help, it shifts smoother. I need some kind of cooler.

I might try wrapping my crossover and down pipe first to see if it helps.

I feel any NV4500 cooler will help control the heat. That is my opinion only. I have not tried one yet.

I used the proper Amsoil MTG 75w90 that says on the label designed especially for the NV4500.

I can float the gears, but not as easy as my SM465. :) as long as the throttle is accurate, it does OK. I seem to float gears better on my 95 than my 93.

I drained the amsoil out, and it flat has some detergents. black as night. :)

the trans and the rear end both I dont think the PO ever changed oil. I am ashamed to say this is the first I have changed them (allways kept them full luckily), basically put 30K on the pickup before properly servicing the rear end and trans. :(

So Snowdrift and Jeff and all others, I need opinions on these darn coolers. :) gotta do it in a few hours, so I need to make a decision.

Thanks!

Let me know how the new fluid works out. I'm running the same Amsoil number you were. I've always had good luck with amsoil products. Also let me know how the cooler works out. I'm going to be lazy and let you figure this all out and then copy you.
You use your trucks far more than I do mine anymore. But I never know when I might hook onto a load and go for a ride.

So, in scraping oily dirt in preparation for the covers, I found a crack in the bellhousing. :( luckily rather small, and it isnt affecting the alignment of the input shaft, just a tiny crack that starts at the top left bolt of the 4 big bolts that hold the trans on. goes out about 1.5 inches and dead ends at a casting mark.

Sooo, that combined with the clutch that doesnt seem to have much disc left and may not release fully, and a possible seeping rear main, I think it is about time to pull the transmission in this pickup.

So that means that its time to work on the 2wds while this one is still running, and get one or two ready to rock so I can take this one down and take my time and do it right.

I might even try to find the ultra rare cast iron bellhousing, IIRC found only in C3500HD applications.

So, in closing, that means I will be putting the smaller easier to install Gear Tech Covers on, as if its coming back out after a while, no use putting the bigger ones on and using up more of the spendy fluid.

After running for a while on I80 @ just short of 18,000 combo, pulled into Sidney, NE, and checked temp immediately after parking (about a mile of I80) and the PTO covers were 175, and the back of the case near the 5th gear was at about 190. So far so good!

THe shifting has improved, it is still not that crisp, but I am really thinking the throwout bearing may be going bad, and the clutch is getting pretty wore, may not be releasing fully, etc. and at 260K, I doubt the synchros were that good to start with.

So in conclusion, I think the proper Castrol Syntorq LT shifts a little better, but I wont give up on the Amsoil until I try it in a very healthy trans with a known good clutch system.

Sorry to hijack, but

GM Guy, make some space in your inbox so I can PM you! Or call me if you still have my number.

Space made. :)

I am trying to limit calls, it is coming up that I am on Roaming when I am in a cover area??? better play it safe...

IDK if I mentioned it earlier, but a few months back I spied a certain pewter CCLB at Goodland Wal-mart. :)

I looked for quite a while to find that rig. It was everything I wanted except 289K miles! I've only seen one other just like it on the internet so you can be sure it was me!

Side story: I parked at a Barnes and Noble in Lovenland, CO a couple years ago and when I came out there was 6.5 burb parked next to me. I backed into my space and they had done the same thing. I'm sure they noticed mine was a diesel and thats why they did it. Never posted a pic of that but I was going to because I figured it might be someone on here.

Back