• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Kawasaki Prairie 400 4X4

MAGNUM SERVICES

Intelligence Guided By Experience
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2000 Kawasaki Prairie 400 4X4 from a friend for $500.00 who has owned it since new. He sold it to me because when you turn the gas on it leaks fuel out of a hose coming from the bottom fuel bowl on the carburetor and therefore it does not want to stay running. I am presuming it is doing this because of water in the fuel and this is the "overflow"? Anybody out there ever have a problem like this?

Carb needs going through what ever the reason. Water or corrosion from water has something not working right. I am not familiar with them but on older small engine stuff that poured gas it was usually the float in the bowl that stuck down or quit floating up to cut off the fuel. Or trash/corrosion on the needle/seat.

I doubt they have a bowl and float but what ever replaced that mechanism or meters the gas is bad I would say.

Yeah, a lot of carbs the rebuild kit are high and ethanol fuel caused water corrosion will make rebuild iffy. On small 2 stroke stuff I buy new carbs without even looking but on a little bigger carb it might be worth a look to clean up and see what's happening ????

Easy fix, the carb is prolly a Mikuni and they are famous for needing the bowl needle and seat replaced. The rebuild kits are cheap and they are an easy carb to work on.
If it is a Mikuni then yeah, easy to work on. I must have had them apart 2 or 3 times a year on an old Suzuki 250 many years back.

That is what I figured between the needle and seat or poor fuel + I found the tube from the air filter to the carb was disconnected so it could have been filled with water from the last time out, Rebuilding it should be easy and I will have it ready for Ky. Speedway's NASCAR Races in the end of June! Thanks for the replies, Keith

Back