• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

just over 10k miles - now a squeaking sound at 20mph and more

VW_Lupo_TD

Reaction score
only intermittent of course and i do not know where to start.
sounds like a power steering pump bearing but have been reading stories about belts and pulleys etc.

also still running OE 2004 fluids other than oil.
yes, yes, i know i should change all fluids even coolant, but hey that thing only has 10k miles..... !

also have been reading about certain belts that caused squeaks and people sanding off lettering on the back
and all sorts of stuff, but mine does not squeak / make noise at idle but only when going above a certain speed....

any input ?

Posting from inside the kodiak.

From 40 mph to neutral to engine OFF I have a constant squeak, squeak sound all the way to a dead stop that is speed dependent.

So if I am correct I can rule out drivetrain as the cause.

Service advisor at chevy dealership believes it to be u-joint(s) and says it is a common issue and no need to worry. Replace at my convenience....

Opinions?

If is coming from the engine compartment...it could be the idler pulley...known issues... If that's the problem It's an easy fix...might as well order a good year gator back belt if you end up changing the idler.

U joints.

If they have grease zerks, shoot some grease to 'em. If they shut up then there ya go.

I'd put u-joints very near the top of *my* priority list, if they lock up, you're on a tow truck ride home.

Back