• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Just had transmission rebuilt. Now transfer case is leaking fluid.

juddspaintballs

my balls are painted!
Reaction score
I just got my Suburban back last week from the shop after getting the transmission rebuilt. Today I noticed specs of oily substance intermingled with the dirt on the back doors so I looked underneath and found wetness on my rear axle. I just crawled underneath to investigate and the wetness is primarily concentrated on the passenger side of the vehicle. I found nothing forward of the transmission leaking, nothing around the bellhousing and starter leaking, no leaks around the pan, but there are a few drops hanging on towards the rear of the transfer case just prior to the driveshaft. It appears that the wetness starts in that area and spatters backwards. My entire driveshaft is well lubed right now as well as the front side of my axle.

Obviously I know I have a leak. My question is, should I hold the shop responsible for causing the leak or will this repair fall back on me since the vehicle has 243k miles? I never noticed a leak before and the shop didn't note it on their remarks when I picked it up (they made sure to note my ABS light was on and I had an old code stored in the computer for a boost issue).

sounds like the seal on the tail shaft like a 15$ item,pull drive line, a screw drive and hammer 2 minutes to pull, gently tap new one in its spot 15 - 30 minutes if you have newer done before.

I have never done that seal before, but it appears it might be that seal. I checked closer and it looks like it's leaking right around where the driveshaft comes out of the T-case. I checked fluid level and it wasn't horribly low, but I added some ATF (I hope that's the right fluid). I'm calling the shop in the morning and having my wife take it there tomorrow. I have to work and don't have the time to do any work on it this week.

Since they had to separate the T-case from the trans and drop the driveshaft (as well as replace a u-joint for me), shouldn't they have replaced that seal when they reassembled everything after a transmission rebuild? Seems to me like it should be their problem to fix it, but what do I know.

no they are not at fault, they will fix but charge you, if they replaced everything they thought was or could be wrong you would have a fit when you see the bill.

I would think the t case seals would be changed out while the t case is removed, i mean hello duh lol

Not if your getting a trans rebuild. Should they have replaced the rear main seal too? The shop should have recomended it though and let you/customer decide. I would have done it on mine.

Mind if i ask what you paid for your transmission build? Im in need of a rebuild myself and was curious what other people have payed, thanks

I called this morning and they said to bring it in. My wife took it there and they changed the seal in an hour free of charge. I paid $1981.xx for the rebuild and work as well as a u joint replacement.

Ouch on the price, im assuming they pulled the tranny and reinstalled it right? I'll be pulling my own tranny to save money cause im poor, even if i decide to have some one else rebuild it

Glad to hear they helped you out with the leak.

I have had my transmissions done for $995 in and out plus hard parts. Add a gear set and electronics and it was $1200 total. Add $100 to 'reseal' the transfer case. There are two transfer case seals and I hope they changed the transmission/transfer case seal that is on the transfer case. The drive shaft seal is number 2 of course.

The cheapest I could find a rebuilt transmission was $1200 plus shipping, and I didn't have the time to do it myself either. I bought a 4L60 online last year for my blazer and did the work, but I had time and a 3rd car then. For under 2k on this trans where all I had to do was drop it off and pick it up, I was happy. The transmission will probably outlast the vehicle now.

Back