• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Just Changed My Front Diff Fluid

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
And it wasn't too Bad, but I'm glad I finally got it done.

My Drain Plug / Magnet was Gummed Up pretty good. Had only a few Pieces of Metal on it, compared to others I have seen. The Fluid didn't Stink too bad, just Smelled like that nasty Diff Fluid Smell. The Color was pretty nasty though.

I only have 26k Miles on my Truck too.

Used just over 2 Quarts of AMSOIL 75w-90 Severe Gear.

Don't mind the ATF in the Bin, it was leftover from changing my Spin On.

Attachments

• IMG00252-20090602-1345.jpg
    IMG00252-20090602-1345.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG00253-20090602-1345.jpg
    IMG00253-20090602-1345.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG00254-20090602-1418.jpg
    IMG00254-20090602-1418.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 18
I've never used 4WD in my Truck yet. So mine has NEVER been used, and the fluid still looked like it did.

You've never used 4 wheel drive? I probably have as many miles in 4 wheel drive as I do in 2 wheel drive. Both my diffs were changed at 2500 miles. I'm at 44k now so I'd assume I'm due.

typical looking front end oil. its got to be something with the way gm sets up the gears and the oil they use.

GM uses ALOT of dry film lubricant when they assemble these aluminum front diffs. Mine had 182K on it when I pulled it apart for my gear swap and it looked just like yours still after SEVERAL fluid changes. This stuff makes a terrible mess to clean up as well to get the case halves clean for sealer once you've split em. I used about 4-5 quarts of cleaner to get mine all cleaned out to the point I was happy with it.

I'm getting ready to check my 2002 sometime this summer, since it'll be rolling 20k. Wonder if the older NBS trucks are any different?

Good lord, never used 4x4? Wow... Hell I used mine today, but I was headed down a gravel at 50 mph with a 30' Airstream in tow. :D

Where did you get an airstream trailer...... WTF?

I used my 4x4 today, backing up a steep gravel driveway.

James, it is a good idea to use the 4wd once a month for a few miles just to circulate the fluids in the diff and the transfer case!

the only thing putting your truck in 4wd does is check the electrical components and spin the driveline, everything else is already spinning when you drive since the CV axles are connected to the wheels, that is, unless your truck is solid axled, the hubs dissconnect all internal componets from the wheels.

the only thing putting your truck in 4wd does is check the electrical components and spin the driveline, everything else is already spinning when you drive since the CV axles are connected to the wheels without a manual lockout.

Correct. Thus the need for changing that front diff fluid whether you use 4x4 or not.

And I need to change mine...

When the axle disconnect uncouples, only the axles and spider gears spin. The ring and pinion do not spin when the 4X4 is disengaged. This is why GM put so much dry film lubricant in there, so that the ring gear portion not in the oil would have a long lasting film on it to prevent it from rusting when it doesn't get used. It is still a good idea to use 4X4 once a month though to keep the axle disconnect from rusting and sticking when you actually need it.

Back