• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

John Deere 410 loader backhoe engine torque specs

3500GMC

What T F, over
Reaction score
It's a older '78 2WD extendable backhoe. Nice old machine. 4 cyl diesel, shuttle shift, 1 yd bucket etc..

Fell victim to electrolysis in the liners, engine took on some coolant but was shut down quickly upon loss of coolant.

We are re-assembling with new liners, rod bearings, rings, lifters and associated seals/gaskets,

So... need pointed to an online source for torque values, valve adjustment sequence things of this nature, or , if anybody has a book or personal experience.. Any and all info would be appreciated!

Today the bottom end went together. Torqued the rods to 60lb.ft. Liners and orings went in smoothly. New tappets were a lube and drop in deal. Need to be sure of the torque and sequence before we button up the head, top end.

A few pics.

Huge crank and rods in this thing. Learning more, they call this the 300 series JD diesel engine.

Attachments

• WP_20130622_004.jpg
    WP_20130622_004.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 19
  • WP_20130622_001.jpg
    WP_20130622_001.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 20
  • WP_20130622_002.jpg
    WP_20130622_002.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 19
  • WP_20130622_003.jpg
    WP_20130622_003.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 19
Excellent. Do appreciate it sir. Couple questions..

Did your manual make any mention of retorque?
Any mention of '300 series'? There are 400 series diesels but I'm not sure which one would be in your 450.. Don't wanna get crossed up on torque numbers.

engine serial # is m53tf with the 5 being the series. I don't know if that helps or not.

Attachments

• JD head torque 001.jpg
    JD head torque 001.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 48
Need the next page for running the valves if you could.. Looks like the next page after the one pictured in post 11.

The lash settings I found were .014int & .018ex. Getting close to lighting a fire in the ol beast.

Sweet! Thanks for helping a brother out.

We have a JD parts manual (buncha numbers) for these if you ever need anything, just look me up.

Never got around to looking up a shop manual.. (obviously :eek:)

The JD410 rides again. (digs again) whirled over and hit off on all 4, purged the air bubble from the fuel and stalled, cranked a few more revs and took right off. Did a video but haven't uploaded it.

Next on the list is a good cooling system flush/rad cleaning.

Back