• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

JD 4219 motor smokes a bit

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
Well I got the toy home, a JD 2030, I haven't used it much yet, just ridding around some, replaced all the front bushings & bearings.

When I got it, the motor smoked blue a little, motor sounds good, no puffing from the valve cover vent, no oil leaks, it hasn't been running long enough to tell if it's using any oil yet.

I replaced the injectors with new, still have the blue smoke...

I was ridding around today, got the front back together, and after a while it started smoking worse and almost like it was getting too much fuel and stumbled some for a few minutes then like a switch flipped it went to running smooth again, but still had the blue smoke.

I don't have much experience with these motors, but guess maybe IP might need rebuilding ? I know the other things like rings & such, thinking to try the IP before a motor rebuild...

What say you all......

Don't know, looking at the parts book, it doesn't show any valve seals ?? Never seen a head that doesn't have valve seals.... I'm changing the oil & filter tomorrow and adding some mystery oil to see if it helps..

Not sure where to go from here.. may need to put a plow on and work her some...

Well, it's too wet to plow anytime soon, I have water standing in the fields...

I'm going to try synthetic oil & marvel oil and let it high idle for a while and see what that does for now. I do have a heavy dose of power service gray in the fuel, new filters everywhere...

I expect the motor needs going through, don't know the hrs on the machine but I know nothing has been opened up on the motor, still has factory paint on it.. might do the head later before the entire motor.. will see later I guess..

No experience with that engine.
Why mix synthetic with mystery oil? Synthetic has small molecule chain with high lubricity. Marvel oil closer to penetrating oil than lubricating oil. Less lubricating than gasoline. Trying to remove glazing off oil rings? Or is it one the ole tricks that just works without understanding why? I know that combo works great on stuck rings when you but an old one lung that won't turn over.

I like the mix of synthetic oil but not so much on MMO for a running engine just my opinion. Good for a stuck engine.

Does this tractor have an "oil bath air filter" or a paper element?

Well I put a qt of marvel in the old oil and changed the filter, going to run it a little while and maybe flush some crud loose then change the oil to syn...

I do think this machine has sat a while and not been worked hard in a long time. I am going to put the subsoiler on and make her sweet a little and see ..

It has the 2 dry air filters on it, and they are new.. It does seem like it is starting to not smoke as much now, but not for sure.. and it does smell like fuel and not oil, thinking I'm going to have the IP checked, I know if it was my 6.5 I would be looking at the IP so that is where I'm heading right now... if I can find a good pump show around here...

If the machine sat some time with that fuel in it, it is possible for diesel fuel to go bad from sitting just like gasoline. That will cause some smoking and run a little week as well as a funny fuel smell. Try running a line from a jerry can for 10 minutes or so and see if it improves.

Back