• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

It was a happy morning @ -7F

jmiller

Recruit
Reaction score
After sitting for 8 hours in 0F weather, this morning was a happy event when the truck started without being plugged in. Depending on the thermometer, it was between -15 (Accuweather), -7 (national weather service), or -3(the window thermometer) when I got up.

In previous winters, 5F was it. Below 5F, it would not start after sitting 8 hours.

What changed? reman block, new PMD.

The PMD was suspect, in that it had been mounted on the manifold when I purchased the truck. After breaking the crank and installing the Reman, it never got this cold to check the cold start of just the mechanical change. The PMD was now on the bumper!

It would always smoke on startup, when is was cooler. (like >40F) It would smoke like a glow plug was out. The PMD quit mid summer. Since installing a new PMD, it hasn't smoked on startup unless it has been real cold, below 15.

I swear that SOMEONE had used either on the truck, at least once. After the crank broke, 6 rods were bent! I understand 4 of the bent rods, after the number 2 journal broke out of the block, but I don't understand how 5, 6, 7, or 8 could have been bent. I also don't know the positions of the rods, except #2, the worst.

attachment.php

Thought I'd share my cold weather experience and observations with my truck. When looking in to a problem, knowing what is not a problem can be as valuable as knowing what is a problem

Wow, nice rod. Ether or hydrolock is my bet.
Lots of variables with the starting

Yeah, -15* here this AM. Sure glad I've got that winter cover. Of course mine was in the shop where it was +35* this AM.:hihi:

WOW that rod has one hell of a custom bend there John, glad yr truck started.

The Tahoe started a lot better this morning at -16F here with the LP working, no block heater yet. Smoked and had a bit of miss from one injector / fuel knock but cleared right up after about 20 secs. Prolly one or both of the 2 remaining GP's that I have not changed yet.

Was wondering about you this morning after you went and bragged on the Tahoe yesterday starting right up...:hihi:
Good for you man! Warm weather coming next!

My 94 let me down, I forgot to plug in my oil pan heater and it failed to start I had -10. I probably shouldnt worry but that is the first time ever. I think if I had a glow override it would have gone but I plugged in the heater and gave it a boost and it started up a few hours later very reluctantly! Is it possible to have a flooded diesel engine?

i replaced all the injs, glowplugs, and gp controller last winter than this last spring i replaced the ip. it starts like a dream now even when the diesel fuel is gelled up pretty good. puff of white smoke and away it goes even this morning with it being the same temp as jmiller and not being plugged in. :hihi:

Back