• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

It started! Yay!

mitchedo

Reaction score
I've been whining about this truck for quite some time. I just got everything mostly hooked up to see if it'd start. On the 4th 20 second set of cranking, lo and behold! It started! I only let it run about 10 seconds, then waited about 20 minutes and ran it another 10 seconds so the wifey could hear it.

I'm so happy.

I parked it a year ago December. Got the engine out last fall. Got it back from the machine shop later last fall. Waited for warm weather.

Now we get nasty weather for the next who knows how many days. There's still a lot to do, but it started!

Now, does anyone know why the oil pressure gauge is pegged all the way to the right?

Did you hook the gauge up to the sending unit? That almost sounds like the plug is grounding out.

Wish I could say the same thing about starting. About 2 more weeks and hopefully I can.

Have you considered a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

My OEM electric gauges are good for judging relative differences (can tell when you have more, or less oil pressure) but vary significantly from my Auto Meter's.

Mgrs must choose original electric gauges largely on price. The aftermarket electric gauges I've seen are notably more accurate than OEM gauges. I prefer mechanical pressure gauges but electrics can work well even if many OEM elec gauges don't.

2nd that sounds like guage is grounded out. When engine is dead it should read zero, and when grounded out peg out. For a brand new engine i'd either plumb a permanent mechanical guage under hood, or at least check it with another source to be sure you have oil pressure.

I put the connector on the OPS. It's a new OPS. Is it possible I got one for an idiot light? I ordered it from PartsZoneOnline from the part number in the parts list here.

As soon as I turn on the ignition, it pegs all the way to the right. I'll try the old OPS next decent day we have and see if that's it. It's easy to change, since I got one of those fine extension tubes. :smile5: I know it works as a switch. While I was spinning the oil pump drive -- ignition off -- the lift pump was running.

I might consider an electric gauge, but I don't want to bring oil into the cab.

Update on the oil pressure gauge. If I ground the OPS, the gauge works fine. I'll have to run a wire from the fitting on the extension hose to the head. If I'd known, I'd have electrically connected the two metal ends of the extension hose, but now the intake's bolted down, and I ain't taking it off.

Update on the oil pressure gauge. If I ground the OPS, the gauge works fine. I'll have to run a wire from the fitting on the extension hose to the head. If I'd known, I'd have electrically connected the two metal ends of the extension hose, but now the intake's bolted down, and I ain't taking it off.

So the OPS extension hose is preventing the OPS from grounding properly?

So the OPS extension hose is preventing the OPS from grounding properly?

Apparently so. I bought the new OPS from the stealer (actually PartsZoneOnline), but the one that was in there is the same way. I PM'd Leroy, and he looked it up and some of them apparently need to be grounded. He offered to send me a new extension, but I'll just ground mine. He'll be making modifications to future extension hoses, or at least offering ground options. I would assume he'll just run a wire between the two metal ends of the hose. Might even be able to just crimp one in with the crimp, but I don't know about such things.

I didn't use teflon tape, and when I grounded the 3/4" nut on the end of the extension hose, the gauge worked fine, so the OPS is making good electrical contact with the nut. I used that purple Permatex gasket sealer in a can to coat the threads.

He has issued a recall on all extensions sold - he started a thread about it. Seems some have grounding issues and others do not. He is reworking the design so all will be grounded.

Back