• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

It Runs (Kinda)

durallymax

Reaction score
First off, for the history of my truck build the last two weeks click here: http://www.dieselhaulin.com/forums/sled-pulling/1698-my-first-hook-09-a.html

Last night we got it all back together enough so we could start it, filled it with coolant and tried to start it.

I didnt even try to start it and there was already issues, I turned the key on and my buddies yelled to shut it off. It was pissing fuel everywhere. Minor though, I just forgot to tighten the banjo bolt on the EDU.

Then i tried again and got nothing not even a crank. Then I remembered i didnt have a starter relay as I used it in my buddies truck, stole the parking lamp one and we got it to crank.

Next I tried again, and it cranked like crazy but wouldnt even try to start. So with my buddie cranking it i checked for leaks and found the line that Connects the CP3 to the junction block was only finger tight at the junction block. Luckily I was able to get at it and tighten it without removing anything.

Then I tried again, and it fired up, a little harse but it ran. Figured it would smooth out with some time and a couple throttle blips but its still really rough like its missing on half the cylinders and fuel knocking on the other half. Guess Ill check the balance rates here when Im done moving snow.

We also found that my heater return line has a hole in it, that made a mess, and the line that feeds the heater leaks by the thermostat housing right at the seal and when you rev it up past 2000 it coats the windshield hood and entire motor in coolant.

However the turbo did sound fairly nice.

It was an interesting night.

I have a video but its a half second long as the battery died, ill get one today.

well this morning I pulled the codes off of it. P0089 and P0090. Both are Fuel Pressure regulator codes.

Turns out I never hooked the wires up to the dang thing. I also remembered earlier that i never hooked up my MAF, low coolant sensor and the ac sensor deal that plugs into the shiny thing by the cab. These didnt change anything though.

Fired it up and it ran perfect, minus the coolant pissing everywhere. The one leak that sprayed coolant all over the windshield hood, motor and turbo was a bad o ring on the cab heater feed line. Replaced the o ring and no more leak. The other one was a cracked weld on the cab heater return line, So I ran down to my neighbors and TIG welded the crack. So no more leaks.

Heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJoBKOrJlXY

That's awesome Vinny. Now, time for a test drive! :D

Got a little ways before that, probably next weekend.

Gotta wait for the driver side dipstick tube from Mike L. Gotta pull the downpipe off and dent it to clear the upipe, then wrap it and then put heat tape on the cab insulation.

Also gotta wait for my air shutoff to show up so I can build my intake.

And I still have to find a plug for the turbo water feed. Thats what that hose is thats running above the turbo. It was a bypass so we could start it. ATS sells one with their kits and I may just buy it.

I also want to buy and ATS intercooler pipe that will connect directly to my turbo and intercooler to eliminate my cobblejob as Im sure it will blow apart one I get it under boost.

Good luck Vinny, sorry I missed your call today, heading in Church. :)

looks like it could be one of the o rings between the rear cover and block. why i dont know, but it will mean a lot of work.

That sucks.:doh: Wonder why its leaking from there. Didn't leave something loose did ya?

no, i doesnt look like the headgasket, looks like the rear cover if anything but we never had it off, i keep thinking those two o rings back there but we never touched it.

Well its still leaking and it doesnt look like an easy fix so we have chosen to ignore it and just add coolant as needed for now.

We got the whole front end back together, well pieces of it. Didnt get the lower fan shroud on, forgot to put it on before the radiator and as I was trying to force it into place i snapped it in half. A bucnh of the front clip is still cracked everywhere from the deer, but it looks like a truck now.

Whats left to do to get it running down the road is the dipstick, welding the flange on the frontpipe, building the intake (shutoff showed up today), and getting the front end back in.

Now we are on to fab. We mocked up the driveshaft loops tonite and will be doing them soon. We also designed the new weight bracket as well.

Looks like we will have it done in time but will just be missing a fan shroud and have a coolant leak.

Back