• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

It runs! (and some questions...)

mangus580

Reaction score
Well, nothing like pulling an all nighter just to have things not go your way in the end! They are sealing the parking lot where I work tomorrow, and I had every hope of driving the 'burb some this weekend.... not gonna happen...

I have it running - good news...

Bad news - I have no headlights?? I swear they worked before the engine swap.... any ideas?

More bad news - temp seems to run about 210 on the gauge? I used an infrared probe on the cooling crossover and get about 190... so I wonder if the gauge just doesnt read right?

I also have a rhythmic diesel 'knock?' while at idle. It seems to come from the pass side, and fades in and out. I will attempt to get it on video, and see how the sound comes out.

lastly, it seems I need power steering fluid, and tranny fluid. Plus, it seems the fuel manager is leaking a little after my feed the beast mod. I suspect the heater is whats causing the leak... and Yes Tim... I know if I had moved it, it would be MUCH easier to fix now!!!

Oh yeah, another thing I noticed, is it doesnt run 'smooth'. Its almost as if its skipping, but using the infrared, I checked each exhaust port, and they all seem to be pretty even. Is it possible that timing can be causing this? I wont be able to do any timing until I get the cable from gmtdscan....

now its time to go home, and see if i am sleeping in the doghouse for a while... ;-)

Hopefully at worst case the noise is just a bad injector?
What temp tstat you running?

To be honest, I dont know - its what was in it when I got it. I thought about replacing it at the last minute, but I wasnt sure how likely it was I could get the right one at autozone last night.

I should mention, I have parking lights, and dash lights, just no headlights. High beam indicator isnt working either. I suspect maybe I missed a ground...

The light issue has got to be either a ground wire (you had the front clip off??) or a plug not seated right.

The odd running issue "Pulsing" or surging could be a slight timing issue.

My DaHoooley did that for several weeks after the build.

Did you use rebuilt or new injectors ??

The factory stat is likely a 195 and that is the temp at which it starts to open, then take into account any funk with the electric gauge and or sender and there you have it.

I always run a 180 stat in my 6.5's Prestone lists one for these engines with a 180F rating.

I would toss that factory fuel manager and install a racor 230R2 filter assembly.

The factory units are rated at 5 micron and that is a clod sifter compared to the 2 mic Racor.

Sounds like you are getting close though.

Probably air in the coolant system causing sensor to read high if coolant not always touching it. And air in the fuel system causing your running issues. It could take running it an hour or so to get all the air out and if you did not seat the filter correctly, since it only goes in clocked one way it will leak and suck air.

I talked with the previous owner, he talks like thats where the gauge ran... which makes some sense.

No, I didnt have the front clip off, but I now know for sure I am missing a couple of ground straps, possibly causing some issue.

MGW, I do agree with the timing, as it hasnt been officially set yet. I think the injectors are a rebuilt set with maybe 20k on them? They had been recently replaced when the PO had the crank snap.

Headed back to go work on it some more now, hoping to drive it home today :)

Is there another thread on exactly what you did ? If you opended up the fuel system and did nozzles you probably need to drive the air out. it takes a good 30 minutes of hard driving before it will sound all nicey nice and beleive me when there is air in the system the engine will sound really horrible. Headlights are on a separate fuse(2 if your truck has DTRL). Check the fuse before anything. Could be a coincidence.

I have prolly 30-40 miles on it now....

and I forgot to mention I fixed the lights... crummy connection at the switch.

Don't ya hate when something else breaks at the same time and leaves you guessing..."Did I cause this ?" It happens to me so much I'm immune to it now...

Took it on the first family outing yesterday - to walmart for groceries! I have learned that maybe having the tailgate vs barndoors does have benefits... :)

Also, I think the funny noise I was hearing is gone. I listened for it when I got to work this morning, and didnt hear it. I know I still heard it last night at the drive thru on our way home.

I did toss a can of seafoam in both the fuel tank and the oil this morning, so maybe my drive to work with that cleared up the problem. Time will tell.

You might have had some lifter/valve/rocker noise and the oil additive lubed it up better. What kind of oil and filter are you using?

This is a new install, did you preprime the oil before running it?

Last edited:
running base 'cheap' oil & filter at the moment for the first couple hundred miles, and then I am switching to Mobil 1, and a napa gold fitler.

Its an engine swap... so it was running in the other truck (thats the second video) I let it all drain out... but it wasnt really 'flushed' or anything, so I didnt worry too much about prepriming.

Mighta been... but I can tell you, it was still there last night, and not this morning after the seafoam... who knows... it is just snake oil :)

Back