• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Issue with 60G glow plugs, solution

millsroger

Reaction score
Am being a bit A---Retentive with my truck so checking everything. Was starting OK but more grey smoke than I thought it should have so I got out the meter and checked the glow plugs. Found two on the driver side that were open circuit. Went to the zone and got 8 new GP's, per the various forums and posts here I chose the AC Delco 60G's. Jacked up the front and pulled the right front tire and inner fender, did not need to pull the air cleaner box or the battery. One of the bolts under the #6 heat shield came out with it but no biggie. Got all the GP's replaced, (one bad one for a total of three), and was hooking the wire back up to the #8 and found a problem, it was a very loose fit. Checked #2, same problem. The connector blade on the 60G must be thiinner than the 9G that came out. The connector just slipped on and off with no real tension. Stopped working on that side to check the others. I replaced the GP's on the driver side and, sure enough, they were loose too. Good news tho, they all came out with no problem.

My solution---remove the plastic shell, get a foot of hi-temp shrink tubing just large enough to slip over the spade lug. (two inches for 6 GP's equals a foot of tubing). Gently squeeze the edge grip on both sides of a spade lug just a bit with pliers, install a piece of tubing and shrink it so the end of the tubing is at the end of the lug. They will then push on tightly. The pigtails for #4 and #6 go on tight but they are a different style.

This should apply to the 6.2 and any other engine using the same style GP's--check the connectors for a snug fit.

Yeah, I commonly adjust the height or width of the opening on the spade receptacle until its a tight fit to whatever thickness terminal youre putting it on.

If you are very lucky, a tool exists to push in the small notch from the wire end and release the lug from the shell. In my case, three on the drivers side and the #2 were all broken anyway.

Back