• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ISS Issue?

05DMAXLLY

Reaction score
Today I had my tires rotated by the shop that put them on and he told me that I had some cupping going on and that I should look into replacing the ISS (Intermediate Steering Shaft). He told me that he knew of guys getting this replaced beyond the 3/36 warranty & that they have a new design ISS out now. Anybody experience this?

I know there's been tons of people who have had there's replaced with still the same problem..:(

iss

i also have some cupping on my tires also i was thinking that i had a problem with my tie rods. does anyone know the proper way to check the steering shaft?

The ISS is a very common problem on all GMT 800 vehicles.

Had it replaced on our suburban and the clunking came back.

As for tie rods, youll get uneven wear on your tires if your driving in 4wd a lot. Expecially if you have added power.

Simple fix is a centerlink. They make a world of difference. Just point and go.

As for tie rods, youll get uneven wear on your tires if your driving in 4wd a lot. Expecially if you have added power.

Centerlink is on my To-Do list..

Who sells a centerlink? is it heavier duty or what?
your talking about the centerlink between the tie rod ends right?
BTW, mine is 2WD not 4WD.

You dont need a centerlink stabilizer on a 2wd.

Its mostly for us pullers with 4wd. Keeps the wheels pointed straight and puts less strain on the tie rods.

I made 3 hooks without it and said screw this. The truck was all over the track even though I had the wheel straight, watching the video made it look like my frontend was falling apart. I should post that up somewhere, its crazy.

Drag racers use them too.

I was cheap and bought Crank It up diesels centerlink and sleeves. They work just as good but arent made out of stainless like SD's. SD's are sold through PPE. CIU's are powdercoated though so they should last just as long.

I've already had my ISS replaced once so far. I am sure it will need to be done again. Been ****ty if you ask me.
I had issues with it on my old '04 Avalanche 2500 as well.

The design of the old steering shafts was junk. they have come up with a new design finally after a lot of going back and fourth about what the fix is. The new shaft design has a nylon insert in the splines to eliminate the slack. The new shaft part #19153614. As for the cupping, i'm gonna lean towards it not being caused by the shaft. i've seen a ton of shaft issues but none with a tire wear problem attatched.

i also have some cupping on my tires also i was thinking that i had a problem with my tie rods. does anyone know the proper way to check the steering shaft?

you will feel a clunking feeling in the steering wheel especially during turning maneuvers, and on uneven parking lots. you may also be able to hear the noise too. sound like its coming right out of the base of the steering column

The design of the old steering shafts was junk. they have come up with a new design finally after a lot of going back and fourth about what the fix is. The new shaft design has a nylon insert in the splines to eliminate the slack. The new shaft part #19153614. As for the cupping, i'm gonna lean towards it not being caused by the shaft. i've seen a ton of shaft issues but none with a tire wear problem attatched.

X2, on what he said. I just replaced mine with the latest and greatest and so far so good.

What about this clamp method that a few people have done & had some success with alleviating the problem?

Back