• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is this normal?

BKDespain

Recruit
Reaction score
I had a Transgo jr. installed about a week ago. After the instal, I rode with the mechanic that installed it. It shifted firmer and faster without resetting the taps. It felt good and and still does, the tranny has learned after about 400 mi. This is what seems odd. Before the install with the PPE on 2 or 3, from a rolling start in 1st, mash it down and it shifts smooth to 2nd with no problems. Now, after the instal, if I roll on it hard in 1st, it shifts to second and it feels like it slips or hesitates and the bangs 2nd hard and then smooths out. Only does it from 1st to 2nd. If I do a 5-7 psi boosted launch it shifts smooth. I changed the spin on and internal filter with the instal. Also Filled with Schaeffers synthetic. Any ideas?

The only suggestion that I have is to reset the TAPs to see if that will assist with learning that 1-2 shift.

I am no tranny guy, but am hopeful that this bump to the top will get an answer for you.

Allison tap cells are the memory associated with shift and throttle position. It's stored memory . When you add additional torque it needs to relearn. Clearing the tap cells erases present memory and for the most part goes into what they call a fast learn process. Otherwise in slow learn it takes longer.

It takes a few up down shifts in tow haul and out to learn. Sometimes you can have some quirky shifts until it settles down.

In a nut shell

I am hesitant to reset the taps. I reset the taps on my LMM with a Quad set at 70 and I think it hurt the TC. I ran the 70 tune for around 2k mi then reset the taps and after that the TC would unlock and slip in 5th and 6th with about 3/4 throttle. It wouldn't even hold the 50 tune after that. I had to run it on econo to keep the TC from unlocking. I don't know if it is related or not, but I do not it happened during and after the reset.

Back