• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is there a LIST OF INTERCHANGABILITY between 6.2/6.5 engines?

kgw51gmc

Reaction score
I have access to a free 6.2 diesel in an 84 1/2 ton junk chevy truck. "Ran when parked" 10 years ago. I own a 97 chevy 6.5 turbo. Is there any reason to save the 6.2 from the scrapper? What can I swap between engines? Is there a simple list of "These parts are the same: "???

^^ Yes. As mentioned, these are a widely interchangeable engine. Naturally some things have changed since their debut in 81-82. If you are unsure just ask.

A 6.5 diesel engine is simply a bored out 6.2. Pistons have a different diameter and thickness. Some newer years have a 1 piece rear main seal. Precups in the heads are different and easy to change in the head. Injector angle is a little different. Oil cooler lines have a different thread diameter over the years. Small stuff.

Swap the timing cover with IP, injectors, bend the lines a bit and I have a 1986 6.2 stuffed in my 1995 and it's still turbo'd.

How many miles on the old 6.2? These engines tend to crack the main webs and go 200K before needing head gaskets. So the engine condition will be the final factor, but, should be worth saving. $75.00 by weight at the scrapper if all else fails.

If you want to take the time to do the research you can get the info out of the Army's HMMWV engine manual. The HMMWV originally used the 6.2 but later went to the 6.5 and there were a total of something like 5 engine variants. There are several places you can download the manuals for free, for instance the Steel Soldiers website. There are two engine manuals, one is the maintenance and repair manual and the other (the one where the TM number ends in a P) is the parts manual. The parts are listed by both National Stock Number and by part number and the parts numbers are generally GM numbers. Lots of good info and the maintenance and repair manual tells how to do everything from basic repair to complete overhaul.

Back