• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is there a additive that helps MPG?

black'doutdmax

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you know of an additive for the fuel and maybe the engine as well?I've tried a few different ones but I was wondering what ya'll are using?

Thanks

I use a mix of power service and 2 stroke oil. The best way to increase your fuel economy is drive like your grandma, slow. Yeah it is pretty much impossible to do with a dmax. ):h

Fuel Additive

I use a mix of power service and 2 stroke oil. The best way to increase your fuel economy is drive like your grandma, slow. Yeah it is pretty much impossible to do with a dmax. ):h

I use the same, as well as Stanadyne with a mixture of 2 stroke. Forget about mileage improvement in the winter with blended fuels. In the summer, with straight #2 and a cetane improver, you can get about a mile or maybe 2 better, but that's it. Your driving habits will yield you better results than will fuel additive.

We are hearing very good results about Shellbourne Fuels Diesel Fuel Catalyst and Fuel Line Cleaner. Friends pick it up at Fifth Wheel Truck Stop in Milton, ON.
1 OZ treats 20 Gallons (1 x 32 OZ Container treats 640 Gallons.)
Hope this helps.

I still run it in the winter
...I drove 942 miles on Friday towing a trailer and got 16.5 MPG for the whole trip with the addative

I just use the PS white bottle in the winter for anti-gel. Was a bit warmer (upper 20s) last week so I got a bit over 17mpg which is excellent on winter blend.

After you've gotten over the thrill from the power a diesel delivers, keeping your foot out of it yields the greatest results...as hard as it is.
I tow almost all the time with mine between a work trailer during the week and an rv trailer for fun. I get around 3-4 mpg improvement over towing with my gassers, but I haven't run out of power yet. It's such a pleasure to actually be able to get up to speed on highways. That's about the only time I lean on it anymore and it always brings a smile to my face.

I use Stanadyne and good old #2. Even through the harsh winters we have here. No high idle (I just take it easy until it warms) and the hardest part is remembering to bring a warm bottle with on fuel days.
I did make the mistake just once and added it when slushy...I won't do that again. I do carry a bottle of 911 in case of emergency.

I average 10-12 towing depending and close to 20 on the rare occasions that I run highways speeds not towing. My gasser towed around 8-9 and only 10-11 empty...

Install an HHO generator (Brown's gas generator). Because our diesels do not have an O2/Lambda sensor, it's a less complicated setup. The amount of mileage improvement will be directly proportional to the amount of HHO your generator produces. Once I get the Beast running again, it will be my first add-on project -- going to test it first on our Avalance gasser (four O2 sensors).

Regards,
Franko

I stay with Power Service for the Summer / Winter.

I've Used Howes once before, and didn't really Notice any Difference other than it Smoked ALOT Less than the Power Service.

Since I mostly run B5-B20 I really only use the additive for cleaning and cetane improvement (+ anti-gel winter). I feel like more soot = better cleaning job the additive is doing. May just be a 'feel good' thing any way.

Back