• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is She Spitting Parts?

My picture of the starter bracket is upside down but it is the bolt that attaches to the starter - not the block - that's missing.

I got the broken bolt out. I couldn't clear the drill on the engine block with the supplied 3/16" drill so I went out and bought one that was twice as long. After that, it was simple. I've always hated/feared extractors but this method is pretty easy though I'll allow the broken bolt wasn't seized at all and came out finger tight after getting off the bottom.

Attachments

• DSC016181.jpg
    DSC016181.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01617.JPG
    DSC01617.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 16
for extracting broken bolts, i took an old pushrod and cut off the end. slid the drill bit in and welded it up. works good, used it three or four times yet.

Done! The bracket was a pain but it's together. The Chevy dealership gave me a very poor grade bolt to attach the bracket to the starter but I stopped by Lowe's and picked up a grade 8 bolt that seemed to work fine and certainly weighed a lot more than the one the dealer gave me. Turned out mine took a 1/4' X 3/4" bolt.

I'll likely check the bracket and bolts at oil changes now.

Thanks to everyone that helped.

Oh, and the Chevy parts and service dept both stated they don't see 6.5TDs anymore and think mine may be the only one in town running!

Definately a starter bolt.
These usually break off because the tail bracket was left off.

The bolts are special though.

Usually a small hole drilled into the broken off piece will allow an easy out to remove the broken piece.

MGW

Back