• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is SAE30R6KX fuel line safe to use on the 6.5?

gahammerle

Saved by God's grace
Reaction score
Replacing the fuel lines under the intake. I've got some line stamped SAE30R6KX. Is that OK to use?

Im not sure that rating tells us if it will work, as I think that just tells us the burst pressure. It is fuel hose it looks like but cant find any good info on it.

I got some 1/4" multi-purpose hose that the person at Napa said was good for diesel, its been on for a week. Later I'll see if its doing OK and if it has any rating on it. This 1/4" ID line was much bigger OD than the line going to my IP. I'm going to replace the IP line soon too, seems like its getting hard and I'll have the intake off anyway.

Can tell within hours if it is rated or not. It turns all gummy balloon like, bouncy... totally changes its chemical makeup.

drop a small piece in a jar of diesel, let it sit overnight, and see if it breaks down any.....

The stuff I got at NAPA and seems to be working good, no deformation or squishiness to it, is called 19B PLantmaster multi-purpose CS073008 X5
Its also rated to 250psi, overkill, but I think that means its a hydraulic hose. The OD is red and double layered. With a black layer for the ID. Some type of plastic or nylon braiding inbetween. Major overkill, but all they had.

That hose will be okay. It is rated for oil, diesel fuel, gasoline, and alcohol blended gasoline.

{EDIT}: Upon further review, the 30R6 hose IS NOT FULLY BIODIESEL COMPATIBLE!!!! If you use this as fuel line, you MAY NOT run any blend of biodiesel greater than B20 or risk degradation of the hose which would have detrimental impact on your fuel injection system!!!!

According to the article below, nitrile based hoses (like the 30R6) can be used with B20 or lesser blends of biodiesel, but you will experience some softening of the hose and moderate swell over time.

Please read further on the subject HERE...

Regards,

Last edited:
IIRC, SAE 30 R9 is the viton or equivalent. It's what should be used if you are running any blend of bio, or so I am told. The bio will slowly turn R6 into mush from the inside out.

IIRC, SAE 30 R9 is the viton or equivalent. It's what should be used if you are running any blend of bio, or so I am told. The bio will slowly turn R6 into mush from the inside out.

This is absolutely CORRECT!!!! If you wish to run any biodiesel blends greater than B20, you must have the 30R9 fuel spec hose. The 30R9 fuel hose has a fluoroelastomer liner.

B20 Biodiesel will cause some softening and moderate swell of the 30R6 material, but it should continue to function...

Regards,

I stuck the end of a piece into a jar of fuel and let it sit for a day. It did not look like it deteriorated any, but I'm gonna leave it sit a couple more days to be sure.

This is absolutely CORRECT!!!! If you wish to run any biodiesel blends greater than B20, you must have the 30R9 fuel spec hose. The 30R9 fuel hose has a fluoroelastomer liner.

B20 Biodiesel will cause some softening and moderate swell of the 30R6 material, but it should continue to function...

Regards,

I wish to run biodeisel as lube addive thinking 1 gallon per 22 tank, making 1:21 ratio, Tad under 5% any harm in that on stock lines?

I wish to run biodeisel as lube addive thinking 1 gallon per 22 tank, making 1:21 ratio, Tad under 5% any harm in that on stock lines?

Matt -

I don't think that you would ever notice the effects of a 5% biodiesel blend on stock fuel lines. The warnings given in the Biodiesel.org article say only to check for leaks. This would be a result of the hose softening over a period of time (probably > 1 year).

For the ultimate in biodiesel compatibility, the 30R9 spec is the way to go. In addition, the rubber lines (from steel line to Fuel Manager and Fuel Manager to pump) aren't that hard to change, even with the manifold in place.

Regards,

Matt -

I don't think that you would ever notice the effects of a 5% biodiesel blend on stock fuel lines. The warnings given in the Biodiesel.org article say only to check for leaks. This would be a result of the hose softening over a period of time (probably > 1 year).

For the ultimate in biodiesel compatibility, the 30R9 spec is the way to go. In addition, the rubber lines (from steel line to Fuel Manager and Fuel Manager to pump) aren't that hard to change, even with the manifold in place.

Regards,

Thanks golds... I ddin't think so, but figured I'd ask. I defanately will not go over 5%...

I stuck the end of a piece into a jar of fuel and let it sit for a day. It did not look like it deteriorated any, but I'm gonna leave it sit a couple more days to be sure.

After a few more days, the SAE30R6 line did not seem to deteriorate. Guess it should be good to use.

Back