• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is plowing hard on Automatic trannys?

Some what. Make sure when you are shifting from D to R and back again that you are completely stopped. Don't be ramming gears. When I plow I always have tow/haul on as well. Keep an eye on the temp gauge. Heat kills a transmission. I know a couple other plowers here in town. One has gone over 10 years of commercial plowing on a 350 turbo tranny and never had a problem with it. He has a big tranny cooler and does the usual maintenance on it. Another seems to go through trannys every other year or so, but hes also plows hard.

Just keep up on the service of the tranny, and keep it in T/H/.

And of course be stopped when shifting.

The ranny on our 02 Dmax plow truck is shot, but thats for more reasons then plowing.

I have plowed for about 12 years and i have never had any problems related to plowing. i have always plowed commercial and if you use your head, and remember that more than likely, you get paid by the hour, it shouldnt have any big problems. granted, s#$t happens. you have to keep up on the maintenance. when the trans gets warm, drive around the block, dont just sit there. IMHO you can use these trucks HARD and not kill them. we had a god winter up here this year and i took the trans apart to put in the suncaost and saw no evidence of abuse or problem in the clutches or anywhere else. this was the second season on the truck for plowing. good luck

I think most guys will be doing residential where you wouldnt get paid by the hour, just by the job. You make more money that way anyways.

Our 02s tranny is shot from 5 years of towing over 20K with the edge on 3.

I think most guys will be doing residential where you wouldnt get paid by the hour, just by the job. You make more money that way anyways.

Our 02s tranny is shot from 5 years of towing over 20K with the edge on 3.

i do driveways also, about 30 plus my commercial, normal drive only takes 10-15 min. but i still dont beat on the truck.

I plow with my 06. Still rather new but the tranny is now built. Damage from a little too hot of a tune though.

Does good, temp doesn't seem to get too bad either, no worse than hauling town the highway.

Back