• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is it safe to body lift a 6.5 powered truck?

Darkrider

Lobo Solitario
Reaction score
Ok this was mostly spured on by conversations on gmt400 but I am wondering if it is safe to body lift one of our 6.5td trucks? I know the engine needs to be kept below 210 degrees. Does the radiator need to be kept in stock location or will an electric fan pull enough cfm to keep the engine cool? One other mod im considering is the HO water pump. So will the HO pump and an electric fan be enough?

Powered by Detroit Diesel

Some people say they have good luck with elect fans but I wouldn't do it. I also think body lifts look silly too but it can be done on a 6.5L, yes the bumper and grill will then be located wrong for maximum cooling.

To expand on the electric fan issue. IIRC (maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong) the stock fan in my '98 moves somewhere between 10,000 and 12,000 CFM. The last time I checked, electric fans were nowhere near that.

Electric fans are good for cruising, but not seeing any supplier claim they dump enough heat when pulling hard (more specifically, there are disclaimers on weight limits for use with towing). There is one hybrid approach of an electric clutch fan mounted to either the stock or DMax fan, but this is pricey, needs a water pump with the spin-on versus bolt on attachment for the clutch, and a pusher fan out front to keep the A/C in check (unless you want to run the fan at 100% whenever the compressor is on).

also for the hyrbo-boost system for the brakes you would have to lenghten all the hoses theres not much extra lenght in them

So the general feeling im getting between what im reading here and reading on the diesel place its one of those things that will take a lot of extra time and money for very little gain and that it would be easier and cheaper to just go with a suspension lift. That about sum it up?