• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is it a 6.5 or not?

wyattearp

Reaction score
So I have an opportunity to purchase a 6.5 core motor with all of the injection lines, manifolds, injection pump and accessory brackets. They got the motor out of the truck, a 92 or 93. The block casting number is 14022660. Underneath appears 3-2-81. So it would seem to me that this is a 6.2 block with all the fixings from a 6.5. I am trying to determine the variety of cylinder head. Where would the casting numbers be? I found a number stamped on the back of the passenger side cylinder head. 14033947. Any help would be appreciated.

As far as TPS, yes you can use that IP. Sell the TPS. (assuming yours is a DB2 truck?)

Passenger side front of the block in front of the cylinders by the water pump will be a clear 6.2D or a 6.5D cast into the block. Far back as 1986 from the engines I have. You can see it with everything bolted on.

May have answered my own question. The injection pump is a db2-4267. So from what I have found out that injection pump was used on 84-85 CUCV's. So I am not going to get this engine. Too many unknowns for what I am planning.

Well back to the drawing board. I was hoping to find a core engine with all of the right parts for my 85 crewcab build. No such luck.

Well the 82 red block is a sought after set up and IP's can be swapped. If the price is right the might be ok. Need to check bores to see if it has been bored out or is still stock 6.2l

That's the decision. If it was a rebuildable core I might be interested. I was looking more for all of the ancillary parts for a possible "Ted's Trucks" engine. Plan on using the ATT. So without tearing down the motor to find out its junk. Everything but the turbo for $600.

I first heard about this engine back in April/May 2013. Just before our car accident. It took me 3 weeks of work on the phone for them to pull the motor. To find out it was not the original motor or IP. This is not the first time this has happened to me. I have been on a hunt for about 2 years now. I am working on a frame off restoration on a 1985 Chevy 1 Ton Crew Cab Short Bed. I plan on running 37" tires and I had 4.56 gears put into the axles. No Cummins for this project. Nothing against Cummins motors. I just did not feel like driving something that belong on the south 40. I could put a gasser in with or without an ECM. But I have seen build done with the 6.5 that would give an honest 250 rwhp and about 500 ft-lbs of torue. More than enough for a daily driver.Peninsular wants an arm and a leg for their version of the Optimizer. Banks wats Ft Know for their standalone Duramax/ECM package. I need reliability. But I am not opposed to a quality rebuild either...if I can find the parts...which brings me back to where I am...nowhere!:mad2:

Maybe "Red Block"?

So the question is, is $600 too much for intake manifold, exhaust manifold, all of the brackets for alternator, ac compressor, power steering pump, injection lines, ip (though it is a db2-4267), timing cover, valve covers, and cylinder heads (if they are 6.5 cylinder heads) if the block is bad? How do I know if they are 6.5 heads versus 6.2 heads?

Well it appears that the owner of the truck sucked a valve on his 6.5 and went to a buddy that supposedly had a running 6.2 and swapped that motor in and then swapped the turbo on. Never could get it to run, claiming an electrical problem. I am thinking that this is a mechanical pump...fuel on...fuel off. Sheeesh! I also suspect that the heads are 6.2 as well but I should hear a little later on.

You can get a running low mile military 6.2 take out for $1200. Swap precups and run the 6.2 heads. I would re-ring it as well. Otherwise you will want to use the 6.5 heads as they clear the injectors better. You can put new 6.5 heads on a 6.2 for less than the cost of a take out military 6.5.

The 6.2 block has 6.2 cylinder heads. The injectors on the passenger side are in immediate contact with the exhaust manifold. Not knowing the condition of the block (previous owner could not get a running engine to start ,???). So I will pass. I suspect that even the injection lines were tweaked to fit the injectors in the 6.2 heads. Thanks for all the input.

The 6.2 block has 6.2 cylinder heads. The injectors on the passenger side are in immediate contact with the exhaust manifold. Not knowing the condition of the block (previous owner could not get a running engine to start ,???). So I will pass. I suspect that even the injection lines were tweaked to fit the injectors in the 6.2 heads. Thanks for all the input.

Yes, the injector lines were tweaked to make them fit. Hasn't hurt my two 6.2 transplants at all. This is why I went with military surplus as the stuff on the civilian market is mostly scrap metal.

6.5 Hope?

Well it appears that I may have after all found a 6.5 core for only $50 more. It is in La Grande Oregon. They are checking right now that it really is a 6.5 block with 6.5 heads with a 6.5 (DB2 4911) IP. Maybe...just maybe!

Back