• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is Allison going to leave the Dmax?

Everyone is are going to love the 2010 allison :biggrin5: :coolgleamA:

oh to answer the original posters question, the allison is NOT going anywhere. RELAX. it is here to stay in the duramax-equipped GM pickups.

Oh I'm relaxed. I hadn't heard anything about it until I was told by a couple guys at work that they heard the Allison Trans was not going to be in the '09 Durmax's and told them that if anything the 1/2 ton trucks with the 4.5L Duramax would have the GM trans in it, but the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks would all stay the same. And as more guys came around, they all are telling me different, so I just kinda gave up, and said "Okay, we'll see when the '09 options come out" and walked away.

As for the '10 Silverado/Sierra with the Duramax, the rumor is it could have an 8 speed transmission, but nothing confirmed.

I have the 6L90 in the 07.5 GMC. It actually looks strikingly similar to an Allison 1000 series. Its not a bad tranny at all, In fact It feels and shifts just like an Alli.
Its reverse sucks though, its geared like a 4L80, I like the reverse in an Alli better.

I should take a pic of the bottom of the 6L90, Where the spin on filter is on a Alli, on the 6L90 is a blank piece of metal.
Bill

I have the 6L90 in the 07.5 GMC. It actually looks strikingly similar to an Allison 1000 series. Its not a bad tranny at all, In fact It feels and shifts just like an Alli.
Its reverse sucks though, its geared like a 4L80, I like the reverse in an Alli better.

I should take a pic of the bottom of the 6L90, Where the spin on filter is on a Alli, on the 6L90 is a blank piece of metal.
Bill

Wonder why no spin on?? Does it have grade braking like the Alli?? Glad to hear the good report. Is your truck a 5.3?

I dont think it looks like an allison..

6L90.jpg

allison1000.jpg

correct on the heavy duty division. they still own the light duty truck division as far as i know. and i truly doubt gm could produce a trans stout enough to match the torque of the diesel. i have been in the business for 10yrs now, and have seen more of the 4l80 trans blown apart from the 6.0l gasser, and every other trans they make also. only seen 2 allisons here and they had broken tail sections because of bad u-joints.

That is correct. GM sold off the heavy duty division of Allison and kept the light duty division so they could continue offering the Allison in our trucks.

Yes it does have tow/haul and yes it does have grade braking.
The truck is in dire need of some updates, the tranny can be quirky as an SOB.
I am not starting a pissing match, It looks really similar to an Allison IMO.
Bill

Do you really think this looks like an Alli?

Attachments

• 6L90trans03.jpg
    6L90trans03.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 38
Ok, so why no spin-on? Cost cutting? Design differences? Would make sense, wouldn't it?

doesnt really need it IMO, its not designed to be as hard working a trans with as long an expected service life. Completely different class than the allison.

Back