• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is Allison going to leave the Dmax?

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
Another surveyor I work with on the pipeline (who is looking to upgrade his '03 6.0L gasser to a Dmax) told me he was told by another Duramax owner on the line (who owns an '08 Dmax) that the '09 or '10 will not have the Allison Transmission matted to it. He asked me if I had heard anything about it, and I said no. I just couldn't think that GM would drop one half of the Dmax/Allison team. I know I have not heard a single thing about this either on line or in any of the magazines I get. He had said that GM was offered a huge sum of money to break the partnership with Allison and use another transmission in the HD's. I told him this was very, very unlikely but I would ask around.

correct on the heavy duty division. they still own the light duty truck division as far as i know. and i truly doubt gm could produce a trans stout enough to match the torque of the diesel. i have been in the business for 10yrs now, and have seen more of the 4l80 trans blown apart from the 6.0l gasser, and every other trans they make also. only seen 2 allisons here and they had broken tail sections because of bad u-joints.

GM is now in in a HUGE cost cutting mode. Everything is on the table, including the use of the Allison transmission in the 2500/3500 trucks. There is a constant battle raging between the engineers who want to keep improving the product and the "bean counters" who want to cut cost. Looking back at previous decisions, nothing would surprise me. Remember, "...he who controls the purse-strings has ultimate control on the final product."

I sure hope they don't drop the Allison from the 2500/3500 line-up, because it will adversely affect sales of these trucks.

GM is now in in a HUGE cost cutting mode. Everything is on the table, including the use of the Allison transmission in the 2500/3500 trucks. There is a constant battle raging between the engineers who want to keep improving the product and the "bean counters" who want to cut cost. Looking back at previous decisions, nothing would surprise me. Remember, "...he who controls the purse-strings has ultimate control on the final product."

I sure hope they don't drop the Allison from the 2500/3500 line-up, because it will adversely affect sales of these trucks.

That was the first thing I thought about when I heard this rumor; the bean counters won over the engineers. I can tell you right now, if something changes with the 6.6L Duramax/Allison Trans combo, GM will have hell to pay with any truck buyer. Sure the Duramax has proven to be a great engine for power and durabilaty but a lot of people buy a Silverado/Sierra because of that second part of the combo, the Allison Transmission.

I know the 1/2 ton 4.5L Duramax will have the GM transmission and I am curious on how that will hold up with having the same power numbers as a stock LB7.

The Allison 1000 transmission may very well be built at a GM plant, but it is STILL an Allison transmission and GM now has to pay them for using their design.

The one BIG thing that will persuade the bean counters to keep the Allison transmission will be warranty costs. GM is constantly analyzing and monitoring warranty claims and expenses, especially NOW that they are losing Billions of dollars. If the warranty costs for the GM/Hydramatic transmission comes anywhere close to the warranty cost for the Allison, I will not be surprised if they say "Bye Bye" :seeya: to the Allison in favor of the new 6-speed GM/Hydramatic transmission. The bean counters and lawyers couldn't care less about the product, in fact many of them don't have a clue as to what a transmission is or what it does, all they care about now is the short term bottom line $$$.

This is going to be very interesting to watch.

If they ditch Allison for an inferior trans( which I don't see them doing) ford will goble up their market share very quicklly. They sell the duramax because it is mated to an Allison, if not for this many Gm diesel truck owners would and will be driving a Ford or Dodge, as the Allison is the biggest seperating factor from the other two.

As much as I love the Duramax, having it mated to the Allison is a very big selling point and was for me. I agree with you RedneckBuckeye, if the Duramax was mated with an average trans, Ford and Dodge would be picking up a lot more sales. I know I would have a Cummins in my driveway.

The 6L90E is the trans going behind the 4.5L Duramax, it is capable of 520ft-lbs of torque, but it is just coming out, no idea how it is holding up.

Is that the new GM 6-speed that they are putting behind the 6.0L on the 2500HD/3500? Is it an electronic controlled transmission?

Do you know how well they are holding up?

Thanks.

So far they seem to be doing ok in the Vette. TCM is inside the pan. Need to get my hands on one to play with.

There will be changes to the Allison for 2010, not 100% what those are yet.

Everyone is are going to love the 2010 allison :biggrin5: :coolgleamA:

oh to answer the original posters question, the allison is NOT going anywhere. RELAX. it is here to stay in the duramax-equipped GM pickups.

Back