• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

IP Timing?

Non Typical

Roller of the Smoke
Reaction score
So, the 95 has a basically brand new pump from SSD. Only thing is, it never arrived with timing marks that Walt had apparently told my Dad it would have. The truck has needed to be plugged in for the morning, or it wouldn't start. Even in our recent hot weather, it still won't start on it's own. Batteries are good, starter is good, connections are good, LP is brand new. So I am thinking that the actual IP will have to be shifted. The only question is, which way. I am thinking that the fuel is getting injected to late, but I could be wrong. I have never done work with a DS4 before, and was planning to have the truck ready for my employees to use by Monday. :confused:

timing is only achieved through a scanner.

You can get it close by setting the IP straight up vertical. But the PCM has a stored value of TDCO, and how to make the PCM desried timing the actual. When you move the IP you change that, so you need to get a scanner, tech 2, and do the TDCO relearn procedure. And make sure it is somewhere between -0.5 and -1.5. A time set procedure must also be done so the PCM learns how to control the stepper motor to achieve the desired timing.

With the stepper motor disabled, the IP timing should be about 3.5 degrees, but that changes based on IP position, moving to the drivers side and it will advance it further, making the TDCO more negative and higher timing. That is all but irrelevant, as the TDCO just needs to be between -2.02 and +2.02, because the PCM will use the stepper motor to achieve the desired injection timing for the given TDCO.

It could be that you are too far retarded, to where your TDCO is in the + range, but the PCM was previously set for a - TDCO value.

Hate to hijack here but I'm trying to set my timing using carcode and I can't get the tdco to move far enough. The best I've been able to get is 1.14 and it's currently at 1.5. I can't see how to tell what the actual IP timing is anyone got any ideas?

Hate to hijack here but I'm trying to set my timing using carcode and I can't get the tdco to move far enough. The best I've been able to get is 1.14 and it's currently at 1.5. I can't see how to tell what the actual IP timing is anyone got any ideas?

IIRC in the DATA screen shot click Enhance, then click SEND and it should show the actual (IPT) and desired (IPTD)

Turn your IP 1mm to the pass side to get a more - TDCO

Leo

Last edited:
Those numbers on my truck are exactly the same as the ones as quomack had on his snapshot. the only difference is the tdco #s

You have a 95. Get GMTDScan from Engh motors. It's the only cost effective way to do it. Tech2=$$$$$$ . You can buy GMTDScan for about 200$ with the cable IIRC

So what do you guys think? It's actually the IP timing that's out? Like I said, the stealership said they performed the timing procedure.

Just wondering if this could be something else. :confused:

So what do you guys think? It's actually the IP timing that's out? Like I said, the stealership said they performed the timing procedure.

Just wondering if this could be something else. :confused:

Are your glow plugs working? Even in warm weather you need a functioning glow system.

Leo

Sounds to me more like a glow plug issue. Have you used starting fliud on it at all ? Even once wipes the glows. Are they coming on at all ? Have you tested them ?

You should have mentioned you had someone set the timing, cant remember everyones different posts. You were the one that suspected the fuel is not injecting at the right timing, that is the timing, so either you believe its not right or you believe the stealership knew what they were doing.

Sounds to me more like a glow plug issue. Have you used starting fliud on it at all ? Even once wipes the glows. Are they coming on at all ? Have you tested them ?

Hmmm. I have used starting fluid before on diesels, and the GP's have worked afterwards. As long as you are cranking the engine over, and don't stop until it fires up, it should be fine. I haven't checked them yet, as they were brand new from good ol' SSD. The light comes on for full cycles, but, I'll check a few. Never know for sure I guess.

Buddy, sorry, I thought I had mentioned that the stealership had done the timing. Even after they did though, it apparently made no difference, and still had to be plugged in overnight to start. Which again, maybe points at the GP's. I have a few GP controllers sitting around, maybe I will bolt one up and try.

Back