• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

IP timing

indybeck

Reaction score
i've been looking in tech library, but i havn't found numbers for IP timing, and TDC offset. can anyone point me in the right direction?

I would set it at -1.50 since you are bone stock. That will give you the best fuel economy w/ acceleration responsiveness. Since you are obd2 you just need to be able to read TDC offset. Depending on what tdco is you will adjust your ip either toward the passenger side or driver side. In order to set it you can either use a bidirectional scan tool or key on key off procedure. Also to be able to set it the truck has to be warmed up to 170 degrees F.

Sorry the TDCO is what you have to do before you run the time set. Once you have the TDCO where you want it, you need to use a bidirectional scan tool to run the timeset.

IIRC, -0.80 TDCO is just a tad advanced from the range recommended in the service manual (-0.25 to - 0.75 comes to mind). It's a real bugger to get at the 3 bolts on the pump, and I have the special wrenches. I'd leave it there.

If you want to advance it, move it about 3/4 of a mm to the driver's side, tighten the top bolt, and to a TDC learn. Anything less than -2.00 (like -2.20) will set a code and light your MIL. If you're happy, tighten up the other two bolts -- else lather, rinse, repeat.

...but I'd leave it.

thanks, mitch, i talked to my local mechanic too. he said the same thing. what is the relationship between TDC offset, and actual IP timing? i think i'll leave it, seems to run well. no advanced ping, and power seems to be about the same.

I don't fully understand what TDC offset is. When I timed mine, I followed a couple of sets of directions that said to set the actual timing at either 3 or -3 (can't remember). At any rate, when I did that, my TDCO learned at -2.5-ish and lit the MIL. I then backed it off until I got the TDCO to about -1.94. A week or so later, I moved it again to about -1.5-ish. I might move it again when I get some time, so it's more like the factory setting.

I use AutoEnginuity. I really like the product. There is one of the PC-based ones out there that is less money, but I think AutoEnginuity might be better supported and easier to use. ...and it's USB, so no messing with serial to USB adapters -- and the license is tied to the dongle, not my laptop.

Back