• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intermittent ABS & Brake Light coming on...

Heartbeat Hauler

A(ACLU) Agent Yoda
Reaction score
Last week I was driving and applied the brakes to hit the on-ramp to I68 and my ABS light and the Brake Light both illuminated. No issues braking and after a second restart no lights. Now over the weekend and today it has come on and gone off 3 times. EFI says no codes, owner's manual says take it to the dealer, fluid levels are good, power steering pump flushed, brakes at all 4 corners have been taken apart and checked for binding, no leaks. Any ideas or edumacated guesses? Thanks.

Rust around one or more ABS sensors has been known to cause that. IDK if it is supposed to throw a code though.

Have this going on currently with the '99 Burb. Put rims and tires on two weeks ago and as suspected, found the wire harness to the sender frayed through from rubbing. Same thing happened on my son's '95. New sender is on its way.

Thanks fellas! I will check out that harness. As far as the corrosion is concerned, did you have to remove the sensor and clean it, or did you just buy a new one, or....?

Last edited:
Just try cleaning it and put some good dielectric grease on it Jeff.
Hey Mike, I hate to be dense and all, but I was in there lookin' at this stuff and I pulled the connector apart (up by shock mount) checked it, then put it back together and put dielectric grease on the connector where the wires go into the connector. The speed sensor itself looks like it is inside the hub area...now, did you pull the hub off to get to the sensor or were you talking about the connector up by the shock mount. I guess I just need a little more detail here.

Everything so far looks good, wires, connector, all brake parts, etc. I called around trying to find a shop that will read the ECBM codes if there are any (EFI can't do this apparently) GM dealership wants $80 to check it out, the other shops in town want $75 per hour + $35 for the scanner, total $105 minimum....:eek:

The good news is my hubs are rock solid, no slop or movement at all! The noise I heard coming from the front left wheel turned out to be the beauty ring...:nonod:

Back