• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intermittant No Crank- The Adventure Never Ends!!!

turbopower6

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

We deserve awards for the patience we have with these trucks to say the least.

A gremlin continues to baffle me with this vehicle and truly makes it an adventure to go anywhere far from home with it. When running it is delightful and performs well.

First the vehicle: 1996 K1500 Suburban 6.5 (eight lug wheels) 177,000 original miles.

Modifications: Replaced everything from the fuel tank to the fuel minder. Added a Racor Parker fuel water seperator between the new Walbro FRB 5 and the tank. Added John Kenedy's modification harness for the lift pump which isolates the newly installed OPS. Remote mounted PMD on John Kennedy's heat sink with extension harness and adapter for the Grey PMD. All good here. All grounds gone through, cleaned and reassembled with dielectric conductive grease. One exception. The PITA grounds on the trans dipstick bracket stud. This is the next project for sure to re-work these grounds to a better site.

The Problem: The truck will start fine when cold. Drive a few miles shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes to a half hour or so and then try to start. No crank. All lights light up, glow plug relays and "wait to start" lights are cycling, etc. no cranking. Nothing. Sit and wait for it to "cool off" and try again. Starts right up.

My impressions: I believe the starter is fine since it works when it is receiving power. I am thinking something in the security system is disabling the starter. I am not sure if this vehcle has the PASS or VAT system. The key does not have the chip in it like my 1996 Impala SS does. I checked the starter solenoid when it was acting up. While my wife held the key in the start position I found juice at the + battery connection and no power at the smaller solenoid connection I could reach from underneath. This was my clue that no signal is getting to the starter from the key/PCM.

Uggh! I love the truck but it is always a roll of the dice and I have ot bring a book to read so I can pass the time everytime I go out. Again theis only happens after it has been running. It always starts cold. Sometimes we go a while before it does this starting many times in between. I find myself leaving it idle just in case for short errands.

Does any one have any suggestions, perhaps bypassing the disabiling security if it has this? I have not seen a security light on the dash so I am not sure if it is isnstalled on the vehicle.

Thanks guys!

Ted:mad2:

Sounds like an ignition switch. Double check the starter including hitting the terminal with 12v and see if it does crank. Starter solenoids are famous for not working "hot" while starting cold.

Next you can have a bad positive connection somewhere that cools down. Breakers... Double check a schematic and see if there are any breakers on the crank circuit. I don't know if this year has a crank relay but if it does that would be suspect.

Back