• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Interior Lights Door Jamb Switch Repair

handcannon

Reaction score
Ever since I got my pickup the drivers side door jamb switch for the interior lights has never worked without me wiggling the button to make the contacts work. I know they are not expensive. Rockauto has them at $2.94 for the cheap ones to $4.93 for the AC Delco ones. And of course the shipping which would probably at least double the price.

Since I'm a cheap old goat, and having to live on disability, I decided to do something about them without spending any money. I had the dash apart for other reasons so I was able to get to them from inside the dash without needing the hands of Houdini.

I am a computor dummy and have been having problems figuring out how to get the pics posted and in the right order. It's only taken me over two hours to finally get the pics how I want them so I hope they show up in the post correctly.

--------------------------------------

This is the interior door jamb switch. I hope this pic shows clear enough that you can see the sides of the switch body. On the side of the body is what looks like the wings of the old delta wing fighter jet. There are two of these, one on each side of the switch body. They stick out from the body and make it very difficult to remove the switch from the dash. They are in addition to the lock tabs that actually hold the switch into the dash. I couldn't see any sane reason for them to be there so I trimmed them off to make future switch removal easier.
IMGP1275.jpg

The knife blade tip is pointing to lock tabs that hold the switch together. There are four of them. Very carefully lift the tabs allowing the end with the button to be released.
IMGP1276.jpg

This is how the switch looks when it comes apart.
IMGP1259.jpg

The interior of the switch and the contact bars. The contact bars are Z shaped and the offset is just barely visible in the very back.
IMGP1263.jpg

Sorry for the out of focus pic. This is the other end of the switch where the wire loom connects. These pins are the opposite end of the contact bar. To remove the contact bars for cleaning use a small blunt object (small flat screwdriver or ?)and carefully push the pins inward into the switch body. Now you can go to the other end of the switch, grip the now exposed end of the contact bar and pull them out. I did them one at a time in case there was any difference between the three bars.
IMGP1265.jpg

This is what the contact bar looks like. And a good example of how covered with oxidation and burn marks they were.
IMGP1268.jpg

Here's the same contact bar after cleaning it with some very worn out 150 grit sandpaper, as seen in the background of this pic. If I would of had some finer paper I would have done a polish job on the bars. But that's what you get for being a cheap old goat, I used what I had on hand. Once they were clean I slid them back into place. You need to be careful doing this as they are held in place by part of the body of the switch. This part is like a "T" and the bar slides under the hat part of the "T". This "T" does not go the full length of the contact bar. About the outer third of the contact bar is not covered. The metal contacts on the button end of the switch ride on the contact bar providing continuity and sending power to the lights. When the button is pushed in the contacts slide inward on the contact bar until they ride up onto the top of the "T", breaking continuity and shutting off the lights.
IMGP1269.jpg

This I think was where my main problem was. I couldn't get sandpaper down into the spot that was burned into the bar so I used my knife blade and carefully scraped the black oxidation off this indentation.
IMGP1271.jpg

The button and the sliding contacts in the top end of the switch.
IMGP1260.jpg

The button end showing the seperated parts. It's not really needed to go this far as the contacts can be cleaned while still together.
IMGP1272.jpg

Now the switch can be reassembled and reinstalled in the dash. It's a rather simple switch and was very easy to take apart, clean up and reassemble.

I hope this is of some help to others who are as annoyed as I am by door jamb switches that don't work.

Don

Man this is a great thread. Mine has been giving me problems just like yours.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! :thumbsup:

This was one of those "snowball" projects. I started with replacing my manual mirrors with power. Then it went to "since I've got this apart I should do this, then, well it's apart this far I should do this so I don't have to tear it apart again, and so on.

The hardest part of the whole thing will be in getting the switch out of the dash due to those "delta wings". I'm not sure about 95 and newer vehicles. But, with the 94 and older vehicles, on the drivers side, from under the dash, you should be able to get to the back side of the switch with a bit of careful twisting of the hand. The passenger side you should be able to get to the switch by removing the glove box and going in. You may have to do a "brainectomy" to gain better access. I did this with my dash disconnected and hanging down so access was much better.

It's hard to see in the pics but at 90* from the delta wings are the tabs that hold the switch in the dash. They are easy to squeeze in so the switch can be pulled a little ways out from the dash. Then you'll have to start dealing with the delta wings. They are stiff so you'll have to squeeze them pretty hard and carefully pull on the external part of the switch to get them out. Just don't pull so hard the button end comes off and the spring goes flying.

Don

I done that on a couple trucks before.It never lasted to long before it gave trouble again.I ain't farting around with them no more for the few bucks they cost.
Driver side is easy to get out,takes only a couple minutes.
just unscrew and move the fuse panel to the side,break the flange off the switch and puss it inside,then fish it out trough the fuse panel hole,undo the connector,work the harnass back and out trough the switch hole with a piece of wire and your fingers,clip the new switch to the harnass and push it home.
For pass side one needs to remove the glove door and puter.

You may be right about the refurbished switch not lasting very long. But this didn't cost me anything except some of my time, which I happen to have more of than money now. As to access to the switch on the drivers side, you are lucky yours is a newer one with the fuse panel on the end of the dash. Mine is older and has the fuse panel down below the light switch. It's easier to lay on your side on the floor and wiggle your hand up through the wiring.

Don

You may be right about the refurbished switch not lasting very long. But this didn't cost me anything except some of my time, which I happen to have more of than money now. As to access to the switch on the drivers side, you are lucky yours is a newer one with the fuse panel on the end of the dash. Mine is older and has the fuse panel down below the light switch. It's easier to lay on your side on the floor and wiggle your hand up through the wiring.

Don
Ah,sorry i shoulda looked in your sig. Actually i got an older 89,it still has working originals in it.

Don't worry, no problem.

I have replaced the ceiling light with a newer, nicer looking one that also has bullseye lights. Just this evening I took apart the old ceiling light and it shows heat damage from the door apparently being left open for long periods of time. This could have easily caused the problem with my drivers door switch.

Don

Back