• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intake resonator?

Should i keep it or not?
Yes....
Whats the benefits of blocking it off?
Supposedly makes the turbo whistle a little louder. Most people dont notice it that much though.
What do i block it off with?
2" pipe plug.... available at any Home Depot or Lowes. It will fit inside the hole, and you can put the resonator back on top of it. This will allow the truck to keep it's stock appearance.

To see how I did mine, check the album/garage. I put a cap on mine and removed the resonator. I wish I had plugged it instead.... looks cleaner.

I've heard that it makes the turbo sound louder. I didn't notice any difference. I used a test plug on mine, I think a 2".

I didnt notice any sound with the turbo at all. On a nearly stock truck, it'll make the intake noise throatier. You'll hear a difference with stock exhaust installed. Its just a resonator so all its doing is quieting the air entering your engine. Most vehicles out on the market today have them. I plugged mine with a 2" "quick cap" from Lowes or Home Depot. Its like a buck - fifty for it.

Wes, mine's plugged and I put the resonator over it so it looks stock. Yours dosent fit?

It won't hurt anything, I really didn't notice any difference though.

Your exhaust is far from stock too. I did mine when I first traded in when it was bone stock and super quiet. I also blocked my 04.5 LLY when I had it. That turbo in that thing screamed with the 4" MBRP turbo back and no cat. I opted to leave my cat on this one for a couple reasons...

Your exhaust is far from stock too. I did mine when I first traded in when it was bone stock and super quiet. I also blocked my 04.5 LLY when I had it. That turbo in that thing screamed with the 4" MBRP turbo back and no cat. I opted to leave my cat on this one for a couple reasons...

True, it would probably make more difference on a stock exhaust.

I didnt notice any sound with the turbo at all. On a nearly stock truck, it'll make the intake noise throatier. You'll hear a difference with stock exhaust installed. Its just a resonator so all its doing is quieting the air entering your engine. Most vehicles out on the market today have them. I plugged mine with a 2" "quick cap" from Lowes or Home Depot. Its like a buck - fifty for it.

Wes, mine's plugged and I put the resonator over it so it looks stock. Yours dosent fit?

Not that it didn't fit, I didn't think about using a plug instead of a cap. Threw the resonator away before I saw someone else's idea of using the plug and resonator....:incazzato:

For those of you saying you dont notice turbo noise, it isn't that noticable to begin with. IMO, only the lb7 will benefit at all from it. The trucks with vvt's already spool far quicker, thus you hear it a lot earlier in the rpm range. When my truck was stock, I never heard the turbo come on under 2000 rpm. Nature of the beast, takes longer to get it going. Now I can hear ~1700 rpm... Like i said, not that big of a difference.

I have my resonator from my 04 LLY if you want it Wes...I wouldnt ask anything for it since its purely cosmetic. Its just sittin in my tool box.

I have my resonator from my 04 LLY if you want it Wes...I wouldnt ask anything for it since its purely cosmetic. Its just sittin in my tool box.

If you wanted to get rid of it, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Maybe make a donation to DTR.... or the "Sheriffs" dept... :D

Thanks for the offer, Nick. Let me know.

I just didn't want to put the damn resonator back on because it's a pain when I changed my thermostats. I screwed a 2 inch bung out of a barrel or john deere engine oil in there. ;) Fit super tight, sealed good, plug had an o-ring too.

I think it did cause a little extra resonation. I notice some around 68 or so when giving it just a little more pedal. Not a big deal but I know it wasn't there so much before.

Does anyone know with the stock exhaust on the LMM's does it make as much of a difference? Sound wise. I know it has nothing to do with performance.

Back