• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intake manifold on 1995 6.5

konstan

Diesel junkie
Reaction score
I have the PMD relocate cable that should be getting here pretty quick... I searched and read the posts that descrive removing the PMD using some contortionist tricks and ground down allen wrenches.

I am thinking I will just remove the manifold, which will allow me to do the "dremel intake gut mod".

Is removing the manifold a PITA? Or is it really just the few bolts and new gaskets and that's it?

The manifold isn't bad, some of the hold downs on injector lines can be fun if they have never been off before. Don't forget to replace your fuel lines under there while the manifold is off too ;)

I did it a few months ago, it did take me & my son the better part of an afternoon to do...and we only have one speed SLOW lol! It's really not that bad, get the gaskets there only like 18 bucs and also search for the Tq specs so you are ready when you re-install it. If your OPS is old, that is very accessible during that time also.

If you are gonna go through the work why not look for a F upper & lower intakes & just swap em out? They can be had for about 100 bucs, well worth IMO/IME based on what the S looks like inside.

JMHO

Edit addition the quick connect for the heater hose will need to be replaced also...

Last edited:
I was thinking of replacing the intake with the non-EGR kind, but I dont want to spend 100 when I can just 'gut' it with a dremel; I think I will also create a blocking plate for the EGR. I will do the vac pump delete eventually but for that I will need a computer reflash. Also, I think I might drill and tap the intake while I have it off, for the eventual installation of a boost gauge, and then plug it in until i am ready to install the gauge...

I remember doing the plenum gasket in my 1993 ford explorer and that was a pain. definitely more than an afternoon, but there were all kinds of other parts I had to remove before even getting to the intake...

The goal is relocating the PMD. I looked at threads that describe what people go through to remove the PMD without taking the intake off and I would much rather just remove the intake.

While I am in there, I am thinking I will do the 'gut the intake' mod, drill it for boost gauge, delete the egr and put a freeze plug in there. Also replace OPS, just for prophylactic reasons. Also do all the glow plugs. The truck is getting hard to start as it is getting cooler outside.

That's the plan. But first I need to replace motor mounts in my 240D, its been making clanking sound when starting and stopping. Then I can have the truck out of commission for a couple days while I do all that stuff to it.

if your going to take off the manifold i would just replace the glowplug controller if you got the money. its really really easy without the intake manifold there

Do the OPS relay mod if you have not. And only use an ACDelco OPS. Even though you can gut the "S" intake you leave behind channels and the central tower that dont look good in there and may disrupt airflow to the cylinders. Although gutting the upper and capping the lower is at least way better. So you will need to plug the lower and block the upper on top, or just leave the valve on top of it as a blockoff.

The things that hold the injectors lines were the only annoying thing when I removed my intake. Because you have to careful with the lines.

Look at bobbiemartin's suburban build for just a pipe nipple to 3/4" heater hose. Way better than the factory PIA. The hose coupling factory is powdered metal that leaks and will come out in chunks.

Fuel lines are a good idea, but, doable with the manifold on. Save some sore knees and do the IP fuel line, filter to IP, and the fuel lines at the back of the engine for fuel return and filter manager supply.

Buddy is right on with changing the OPS and relay mod while you are there because you can get a wrench on the OPS. I can't find a socket long enough for it anywhere.

Back