• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Installed my Pyro guage!

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
Well I drove around today knowing for the first time in 3 years what my EGT's actually were, and I was pleasantly surprised they were very low the way I drive.

Flat-45-50 around 450df, On a highway stretch that I always wondered about it went up to 750 and the steep 45mph grade by my house I hit 900, thats a serious hill, long and steep. The truck has a ton of power left so I'm glad I have alot of room in my EGT's.

Now when my exhaust arrives anyday now I can see the differences.

Now to install the Boost. On F Intake do I drill and tap the intake or can I tee off of a sensor somewhere? I'll have to search around but if anyone feels like suggestion some info / sharing pix feel free :)

BTW, I went with Kennedy's 2 guage/sm pod kit. ISSPRO's.

Pod fits really well, i'll take pix tomorrow. Looks great.

Drilled & Tapped the boss under turbo at collector manifold via removeing PS wheel well.

I also rotated my batteries while I had one out already.

Side note, Side post battery mod held super tight for about a year now, so if you havn't done this yet, do it now.

Sounds like your EGT's are about the same as I had prior to the new exhaust. Now i only see the 850-900 range if I'm pullin something. And even then, it only goes that high while I'm accelerating. Once I get it up to cruising speed, it drops to about 750 and stays there.

I tapped the back of the upper intake, facing the fire wall. I have read in the past that it is suggested to go ahead and tap its own place rather than tee into another sensor. Good luck, you'll like them both.

you can see where i tapped in, right at the center of my intake. here is a pic. Ed
WaterMethInjectionInstall007.jpg

Thanks bud, but I think you're primary intention with the picture is to show off your WMI :)

So I'll need an upper intake gasket and proper drill / tap.

I'll go snap some pix of my guages and mount to show the fit.

I tapped mine on the back side on the drivers side, it leaves the top empty and looks like it belonged there. Sorry, no pic.

Thanks bud, but I think you're primary intention with the picture is to show off your WMI :)

I'll go snap some pix of my guages and mount to show the fit.
actually that's a yes and no:sifone:. when i read your post about pics for a place to tap i realized i had taken a pic of the wmi to post on devilsown web site as they had asked pics be posted when they sold me the unit. beats running out to the truck to snap a pic. here is a link to the rest of the install. :thumbsup:Ed http://www.alcohol-injection.com/forum/install-pics/install-pics-6-5-gmc-diesel-1653.html

Edzzed, saw your post about the devilsown alcohol injection. You like? I was thinking about getting a kit and i see you have one.

Edzzed, saw your post about the devilsown alcohol injection. You like? I was thinking about getting a kit and i see you have one.
i like it so far, i haven't gotten it set up quite right though. i read some posts where they talk about sputtering and quench but don't know if i have had that happen. i guess the biggest issue is what size nozzles to put on. b&d says i should use the smallest which is 5gph while :reddevil:devilsown:reddevil: said two 10gph would be best as that is what dmax and cummins use. i told them i don't have that engine and they said it is more about how much air flows through the engine and 6.5 is a bigger motor than a 5.9 yup certainly is but bets are the 5.9 flows more air cause more boost. yeah or nay. anyhow they sent me 3 nozzles and the 14gph might be a bit huge. i'll have a better idea what to run in sept cause we will be loading up for a camping expedition and the coquihalla hill will be the test. for now i'll leave it with the 5gph and 10gph on but have a plug so can delete one or the other nozzles or swap in a 14gph. snow suggested 625cc/min which is just shy of 10gph. what i'd like to hear from someone is what size nozzle heaths is supplying with their kit. anyone:drool5:. Ed

Matt, if you install the boost line like I did, then you won't have to remove the intake. It's up to you though.
Here is how I did it. I put my boost tap in the same spot that Edzzed has his w/m injectors.
Remove the bar that connects the turbo to the intake and remove the hose.
Then, just loosen the bolts around the compressor housing of the turbo. You should be able to just rotate the snail snout up and out of the way.
Then, just shove a rag into the intake as far as you can but still being able to remove it. Make sure everything is dry in there before continuing, so that there is nothing for the chips to stick to. Drill, then tap your hole(s). Wipe out any chips you can see, then pull out the rag. Remember to pull out the rag. Reclock/reconnect your turbo, and you are all set. Piece o' cake.
Definately post pics when done.

Uploads worked this time. check it out. Fits nice.

Attachments

• 100_0777.jpg
    100_0777.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_0779.jpg
    100_0779.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_0780.jpg
    100_0780.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_0781.jpg
    100_0781.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0783.jpg
    100_0783.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 28
Ok all, excuse my ignorance.
But being a man of limited funds and wanting to be able to keep my toys in good working order. Which is the most important gauge for my 6.5. For I will have to purchase them one at a time. I have looked at most of ya’lls gauge set ups that I can find. Everyone I’ve seen has at least the pyro, boost, and then AIT, trans temp. So please enlighten me.

boost then egt then tranny. i never worried about ait. princess auto sells a boost gauge for 20 bux. not the best but seems to work for me. i tried it for a while before i put on a t/m as i wanted a baseline to know if it was accurate. try googling princess auto. Ed

if you go glowshift make sure the egt gauge only registers up o 1600f i have seen some gauges go to 2200f and you'll never see your temp that high. if you do it'll be cause your engine just got hit by a missile. Ed

Glowshift gauges have some unsatisfied users.....buyer beware....you get what you pay for....etc....

I wired the guage lights to the dash dimmer, and routed the tube for the boost yesterday. It appears that the gasket around my upper intake is possibly leaking (all wet looking on one side) so I'm going to replace that, and take the intake off and drill and tap it on a flat spot on top probably next weekend when I get the gasket.

The hard part is all done (routing everything to guages and wiring dimmer lights),

Back