• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Install of A-Team turbo& Intercooler complete

Suburbank2500

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago i started on planning for a better setup.
I bought a 600x300x76 intercooler rated at 700CFM, K-47 filter box, AFE filter, new turbo, and a 3 step MPC tune.

All but the Tune is now installed, and i am very pleased with the result.
I got a lot of help from a great guy at this forum.
Going to let the turbo break in properly before i install the Tuning.
The results so far is looking very nice, very little lag and nice IAT´s.
Love the sound from the new turbo.

Cruising in 55 mph i get 19 degrees IAT
WOT up a hill of 30 degrees a 73 mph i get 35 degrees IAT
Outside temp was 14 degrees.
0-100 km\h 9-10 sec.

Attachments

• 05072012967.jpg
    05072012967.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 05072012966.jpg
    05072012966.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 05072012965.jpg
    05072012965.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 05072012964.jpg
    05072012964.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 01072012962.jpg
    01072012962.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Snapshot at 55mph.pdf
    61 KB · Views: 48
  • Snapshot at 73 mph.pdf
    58.9 KB · Views: 19
Very nice install! Did you customize the coolers inlet and outlet? looks like they have been relocated to line up better.

Im assuming the temps are in celsius ?

How much boost are you getting and what rpm does it come on at?

Please keep us posted with your results running the 3 way tune.

Looks good! Keep us up to date, What boost are you getting (psi conversion would be nice lol). Looking foward to hearing more about your progamming and how well it works

With a TMIC(top mount IC), does it heat soak event with the scoop? Underneath the IC, it seems you don't have much air opening to let the air pass through?

I also have a Subaru WRX STI and you know those cars have a TMIC just like your truck set up but during traffic and if you are not moving much, your IC will heat soak.

I though about a set up like yours on my truck but having to mess around with my Subaru's TMIC set up, I skip it and may just end up doing the bottom bumper mount so the IC will not heat soak as much.

Good work on your set up and let use know the numbers that will push out.

Very nice install! Did you customize the coolers inlet and outlet? looks like they have been relocated to line up better.

Im assuming the temps are in celsius ?

How much boost are you getting and what rpm does it come on at?

Please keep us posted with your results running the 3 way tune.

tanman said:
Looks good! Keep us up to date, What boost are you getting (psi conversion would be nice lol). Looking foward to hearing more about your progamming and how well it works. .

Yes, inlet\outlet is moved, temps are in Celsius.
I get about 10 PSI, havent driven it that much yet on the mainroad.
But i wil push it some more to see what it will perform.
DOnt have a tach but o will use GMTD when dribing next time, will post the result.

With a TMIC(top mount IC), does it heat soak event with the scoop? Underneath the IC, it seems you don't have much air opening to let the air pass through?

I also have a Subaru WRX STI and you know those cars have a TMIC just like your truck set up but during traffic and if you are not moving much, your IC will heat soak.

I though about a set up like yours on my truck but having to mess around with my Subaru's TMIC set up, I skip it and may just end up doing the bottom bumper mount so the IC will not heat soak as much.

Good work on your set up and let use know the numbers that will push out.

Hi

Not a big problem. i have a pullfan under the IC that starts at 25degrees celcius IAT.

numbers will come :)

Very sweet set up. Gjorde du har sier Cajsa Holgersson hjelpe deg med tune? Han kan gjøre de tre måte tune i tillegg.tune virkelig skal gjøre trucken kommer til live.

Very sweet set up. Gjorde du har sier Cajsa Holgersson hjelpe deg med tune? Han kan gjøre de tre måte tune i tillegg.tune virkelig skal gjøre trucken kommer til live.

Hi Slim

Was that Google translate ?, not impressed with Google translate :)

The setup works very nice, will use the GMTD to se when the ATT starts to Spool, i cant say there is any noticable lag with this setup.
the cooler flows great, and the IAT is also very nice.
Will probably install the tune in the weekend, and make another test run, will be exiting to se if it makes a big difference.
Will post results when the test is done.
I have The 3 banger from Buddy

I would have thought being so close to Teemu, he made the switchable tune, I have an OBD1 tune set up now, so will be doing my own playing. My switchable tune like yours started to give me problems, not sure what happened, just my luck I guess. So I will do my own real time tuning. If you are interested PM me and I can tell you what you need to do real time tuning adjustments.

The more I look at your set up, the more impressed I am with it. Sweet set up.

That is a very nice setup, you can tell you take pride in your work.

Hi Buddy and thanks.

Well without your advice in the start of this project it would not have been this successful, so I give you a little of the glory of the success :)
I am exited to see\ feel changes later today as i will install the tune and go for a similar testrun.

For a similar universal compact intercooler that would meet the 6.5 flow demand you can pick one up like this one "Yonaka Front Mount Intercooler Type 6 (18x 9x 2.5") YMIC006" rated to 500cfm and could cram it under a scoop.

Mileage check before testrun 2.
I have been driving 283 km from start of 1st testrun, and filled 45,82liter at the same spot as last time.
That gives me 1,619 litre pr 10km / 16mpg if got it right. i am pleased with that as i have not been driving economical, i have used the Turbo a lot

Test run 2 with ATT, IC and tune installed.

1st tune: A bit less performance compared to the original chip, but it is a economical tune, but when i wot it, it comes nice. i can se on the GMDT its not feeding a lot of fuel in the lower rpm range, but that was the purpose to.

2nd tune 1st test: Goes well from the start, some smoke, but clears up when it gets rpm\boost. The Tranny shift is different in this tune, it holds 2nd gear up to 100 on the speedometer, that was new to me so i let of the trottle to make it shift to 3rd, and it shifts alot firmer, you can feel the mule kicking.
i think it maxes out on the RPM in 2nd at 100, didnt watch the rpm as it was enough filming and driving at the same time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1bDBku8f2M

3rd tune: has some more seat of the pants force, "Its rolling coal like a forrest fire", it clears up when it gets RPM\BOOST
But again at 100km\h on the speedo its more difficult to make it change to 3rd, you can hear it in the video, i have to let of the throttle to make it shift so it probably costs 1 sec.
It cuts at 3500 rpm in both tests .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAhoUPsr08E

The attachment is at the same hill as last time i got 13,75 psi but didnt WOT it all the way i noticed in the snapshot, only 86% Throttle.

I have to make another run watching the RPM, BOOST, and TEMPS.

Attachments

• ATT_ with tune.pdf
    30.5 KB · Views: 31
Nice set up! Installed the ATT & had KOJO master give me a good tow tune to help me pull a 30' travel trailer weighing 10,000lbs loaded. Love it - running excellent except have high EGTs pulling, >1,200F pulling grades. Need to settle that down a bit and read conflicting info about adding an intercooler on an ATT saying it reduces boost. Sounds like you are not experiencing that. Wondering here in the states what the best intercooler set-up is (hood vs. under front bumper). I live near Slim and may bend his ear a bit on next steps to help me get this EGT issue under control. Looking forward to following your experience. Thanks for posting this write-up. Cheers!

Back