• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

injs leak at seals

dmaxx3500

Deputy
Reaction score
guys ,a customer just replaced the 8 inj's himself ,now he has fuel leaking ,he used the old o-rings at the inj's and feed tubes, i haved worked on duramax's ,but never worked on a 6.2-6.5,how would guys recomend starting this,just take apart again and replace the o-rings?

Those copper rings are a one time crush ring....

What is a feed tube? Return lines or IP lines?

If return lines, replace with clampless style...many vendors carry the kit for a few bucks...

I am thinking that the the fuel lines (from IP to injectors) were not tightened properly or the rubber return lines (including the rubber caps) were not properly fastened onto the injectors.

Actually, this is more of a question: If there was a leak coming from where the injector body threads into the head, would this cause some serious mis-firing or other very noticeable engine problems? It seems that a leak at the injector body would produce many noticeable problems in addition to the fuel leak, whereas a leak at the return lines or fuel lines would not result in a loss of cylinder pressure.

Jon

Is it a huge problem to have fuel leaking from the injector itself, I mean not copper O-ring, not the return line, not fuel line from IP, but where the two halves join together? How big a deal is it to fix that? (sorry bout the hi-jack - its sorta related)

Thanks,

a leak at the line connection can cause stumble at idle.nut not tight or damaged line tip or injector cone.
A leak at the copper washer causes compression leak.
if a return hose leaks,cut of short piece and put it back on,i never use them stupid little clamps nomore,never had a leak yet.
a leak at the injector body requires disasembly and lapping of the body top and both sides of the coned washer.this can be done with crocus cloth on a piece of glass,and some diesel fuel as lubricant

Those copper rings are a one time crush ring....

What is a feed tube? Return lines or IP lines?

If return lines, replace with clampless style...many vendors carry the kit for a few bucks...
Chris, you can revitalize these copper washers by heating them cherry red and dunking them in cold water. makes them new again.

Back