• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injectors: bosch stock reman or standyne new marine

KrisML

Reaction score
So little back story, the truck is a 1982 chevy K-10 originally 6.2 powered but repowered with a modded 6.5 from the Diesel Depot back in 2003. The truck has been used on/off for the last tens years. Just recently I had to rebuild the engine twice (yes twice :mad2:). First time due to the crankshaft breaking, the second due to a loss of oil pressure most likely due to debris that didn't get cleaned out. Engine is back in with lots of new oil cooling parts to prevent that from happening again. The engine has 6.5 18:1 pistons that are .020 over, stock camshaft, forged crank, diamond precups. The injection pump is a DB2 with the .33 plungers that I've turned up a 1/2 turn, I'm not sure of the serial numbers right now. Truck currently has a GM8 turbo but I do have a HX40 to put on at some point. It is also intercooled and runs about 21 lbs of boost at WOT. Injectors supposedly set to 150 bar.

Anyway after getting the engine running again I noticed that the one injector had a slight leak where the body splits. So since all the injectors are the same age I decide to pull all 8 to have the check for both leaks and to have them pop tested. I took the to a local place to have them check since I wasn't planning on replacing them. When the shop tested them 5 of them tested pretty low around 110 bar average. The 3 others tested around 140 bar but the one was a leaker where the bodies split.

So instead of rebuilding them the shop had a full set of 8 Bosch stock reman injectors. Price was $46.00 each, little high but they had them and their actual German Bosch ones so I figured that it was worth it, so I bought them.

Now on my way home, I live about 40 minutes from that shop, they call me saying that my old injectors are the marine style nozzles and the ones they sold me are stock nozzles ones set to 140 bar. They said that they could me Brand New standyne marine style injectors for 63.00 each. Which seems pretty high but they're brand new. These would be set to 150 bar since that's what specs call for.

My two questions are this. One with my bigger injection pump do I really need the marine style nozzles or would I be ok with the stock ones? I'm sure it would run decent with the stockers. Plus $17.00 more per injector is a decent amount of money. Now after doing some (ok a bunch) of reading on injector pop pressures I'm wondering if I should get the marine ones and have them bump the pop pressure up on them.

I have the stock reman ones in my garage right now so I could install them right now and be running again. The marine ones thy said would take a day to get and I obviously would give them the reman ones back. I'm thinking of running the stock remans since I have them and money is kinda tight for me right now so its a little cheaper. I'm mostly wondering if it's worth the hassle to exchange the out for the marine ones.

Sorry for the long story,
Kris

You'll be fine with the stock Bosch injectors (so long as the nozzles inside are genuine) and at $46 each, you're about right price wise given the time it takes to rebuild one, pop test it, open it up and shim it if needed, reassemble and test again. I've got a set of balanced Marine Injectors in the truck now and had swapped them back and forth each against different turbos (chasing some wild hair) and as long as I was at civilized speeds, there was no noticeable difference. Truth be told, I didn't run the stock units in an uncivilized manner.

From what I can tell without taking one apart they look to be genuine ones. They have the Bosch name on the side. It didn't seem like there would be a huge diffence between them from what I was reading. That is unless you're going for really big power numbers. I'm going for reliable with good power. I'm certainly not afraid to abuse the power the truck makes but full on hot rodding all the time isn't the norm. Cruising and light four wheeling are in this trucks future.

"It's not the size of ones nose, its what's in it that matters."

Bosch on the body means nothing, it is the nozzles inside that are often at issue. CKO (Chinese Knock Off) have been known to get into the system (I had a nice set of Bosch bodied CKO internals purchased from a 'reputable' seller). That's what I was getting at. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

There's no way to know either unless you take them apart and inspect the nozzles.

Reliable power = civilized driving. You'll not be sorry with the choice of standard over Marine.

Very true, without taking them apart you can't tell. Hopefully I'm lucky and they are real ones.

No worries, I kinda figured that since they didn't know they were marine style till they took them apart.

I can live with civilized driving if that keeps it reliable.

Think I'll be installing the stock ones this weekend weather depending.

Thanks

Marine is designed for sustained WOT full RPM boat use with big pumps. Your .33 plungers over the normal .31 plungers is a 'big' pump. Many including myself would love to know how you obtained or made that .33 plunger pump. And can we get one? :D

Seriously with the modded pump you may want to stick with marine injectors. Most other people try them with normal automotive pumps and don't notice anything but some have seen short life. The marine injectors can flow more fuel. You big pump can push more fuel.

How many miles did you get on the injectors? A body leak could be fixed by lapping the injector body halves although a rebuild with the tests done is not a bad idea.

"It is also intercooled and runs about 21 lbs of boost at WOT. Injectors supposedly set to 150 bar."
This is outside the performance envelope of the GM8. You will want to back it down to 14 PSI max. The back-pressure is extreme (vs. boost) over 14 PSI. Never mind the overspeed of the turbo itself making it a air heater vs. a compressor... Of course you would have to turn the fuel down with less boost.

Other turbo's like the one you want aren't outside their ratings at 21 PSI of boost.

The pump came on the engine. As for where the guys at the Diesel Depot got it, I have no idea. I just told them the power goal I had in mind at the time and that's what they built for me.

So you're thinking that the bigger pump may overwhelm the stock injectors wearing them out faster? If the marine ones will handle the output of the bigger pump better then I'll spend the extra money to get them. Would you recommend me having them raise the pop pressure too then?

I put a small amount of miles on this engine over the course of ten years, probably 6000 miles at most, but it sat a lot and what fuel was in the tank regardless of age that's what I ran. The truck has been in various states of repair/semi restore over the years. Plus all work is done outside in my driveway, so is weather dependent. Just topped it off with fuel treatment and some fresh fuel if the small tank had room. Now if these injectors had been rebuilt by the Diesel Depot before they were put in my engine, I'm not sure and I don't have them in front of me to see how much carbon had built up on the tips. I just know how they tested by what the shop told me.

I'll have to build my own tester one day since I'm on installing the spare engine I have in another project one day. Plus it's always fun to have another tool :cool:.

True the turbo is way outside its normal range. When driving sanely the boost actually stays pretty moddest of around 13 lbs or so. The HX40 I just needs a little work then I can install it. I'm hoping to get that put on in the next month or so. I know that will have a huge impact on drivability.

I [type] corrected then on the injectors. Just playing it safe.

Enjoy the build, the better turbo, and the Diesel Depot built motor. Jamie built my engine for another customer before I bought it to rebuild and Ben Avant is good for hard to find parts from their salvage operations next door to DD.

MMM decisions. So after some reading the stockers would be adequate for probably 90 percent of the driving that the truck will be doing. But the marine ones will allow for the full potential of the pump to be reached. If I'm understanding all that I've been reading correctly. Once I throw the HX40 into the mix will probably benefit from them even more.

looks like I've talked myself into spending more money :rof::mad2:. Oh well, it'll be worth it.:cool:

I would make sure on the pump that it is a special 'big plunger' build before spending the extra coin. If the original marine nozzles are good they could set the pop pressure on your old injectors? Bad spray pattern? Regardless the injectors are cheap vs. the new electric ones...

If the fuel is old and bad pump it out of the tank and dispose of it. $100 of fuel isn't worth $500 in injectors and $1200 for an injection pump. I have no idea what your fuel looks like or smells like now so this is up to you.

The fuel smells good and has good clear color to it. Plus just before the engine died this time around it had been just filled (16 gallons total) with an extra heavy dose of additive. A full 32oz bottle in one tank that works. So I'm pretty sure that the fuel is still ok. I always buy from high volume selling stations too.

As for the pump here are all the numbers that came off the riveted tag on the side.

K1 DB2 833-4974
model# 10073525

From all that I've read that means that it should be a .330 two plunger pump. If someone who knows more/better then I says otherwise I'm more then happy to listen :bigear:.

The injectors that were in the truck the 5 with low pop pressure also had bad spray pattern due to worn pintles. They said they could try cleaning them up but that it could be a crap shoot as to how well they would work. So I figured it would be both easier and time/money ahead to just replace them. So that's what I did. They called me about them being the marine stlye ones and I didn't feel like fighting traffic to get back to their shop that same day. Normal end of week Jersey shore traffic plus being the fourth can make for some seriously horrendous traffic.

The marine injectors are worthless for a truck application. They don't deliver any more fuel, they simply have a spray pattern that's better (avoids burning pistons) for sustained high rpm cruising that is typical in a marine application. I have the marines in my truck and they're contributory to my heavy black smoke. The PO put them in after getting getting a leaky set of rebuilt CKOs from Pensacola Diesel. He then installed Bosch Marines that he bought from Heath Diesel. Bill told me the marine injectors combined with the slow to spool ATT are making my truck smoke at initial acceleration. I have about 45K miles to go on these injectors, then rebuilt stock German Bosch are going in.

Hmmm, that's interesting to hear. The HX40 I think spools a little faster then the ATT but I still wouldn't want to deal with too much smoke. A decent puff when mashing the throttle is fine and to be expected. I just don't want huge clouds of it. I'm very proud that I have my 2003 dodge tuned to about 330rwhp with minimal smoke. I'm trying for similar results smoke wise from this truck. Excessive smoke is just wasted fuel.

altitude will affect you a lot. if your close to sea level you shouldn't have too much trouble, unless your one of those people who have to stomp on the gas. you can get a gm8 to smoke a lil then.

I live just a couple miles from the beach so pretty close to sea level.

Oh I fully get verifing what setup I have. I want a good running setup but I want it to last too. So more reading to do. I'll check out that link.

So I read the link and saw that the one guy had ran the same pump I have and yes that injectors were shot after 10,000 miles but he didn't really say why. So now I'm kinda curious as to why/what the issue was.

Well I picked up the brandy new marine ones today. Now I just have to find time to install them. After much reading/thinking I decided that since that's what the engine was built with, I'd go back to those.

Thanks for the help.

The pump you have is the same pump I have. It is the marine db2 pump. Rated at 250-300 crank hp in stock form (the further you turn the screw the closer to 300 hp you get). I personally would run the marine injectors and definitely would swap the turbo. The turbo is definitely holding you back on the potential that pump has.

The marine injectors are worthless for a truck application. They don't deliver any more fuel, they simply have a spray pattern that's better (avoids burning pistons) for sustained high rpm cruising that is typical in a marine application. I have the marines in my truck and they're contributory to my heavy black smoke. The PO put them in after getting getting a leaky set of rebuilt CKOs from Pensacola Diesel. He then installed Bosch Marines that he bought from Heath Diesel. Bill told me the marine injectors combined with the slow to spool ATT are making my truck smoke at initial acceleration. I have about 45K miles to go on these injectors, then rebuilt stock German Bosch are going in.

Bill seems to contradict himself there. Says they don't deliver more fuel but just have a better spray pattern. Which should mean that they deliver the same fuel as stockers where you have your smoke issues but have a better spray pattern that would burn cleaner and more efficiently. Which means it should result in less smoke. So telling you that they contribute to the smoke but also don't deliver more fuel AND have a better spray pattern than stock injectors doesn't seem to add up.

Back